Allpar Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
40,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If they ever work their way down to the 2015 Challenger or do this for Wranglers, I'll get a couple spare keys then have this implemented.
Of course, even owners with letters about this feature from Dodge are having trouble getting the dealer to implement it. That's sad.

The lockout prevents anything but the current keys from working in the vehicle. Of course a theft could grab the car and tow it away and put in a new gateway/hub.

·
Super Moderator
40,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I see a lot of people saying "I park my Challenger/Charger/Wrangler/Gladiator in a garage so I'm not worried."
They don't realize that even with rolling codes the garage door isn't that secure, all it does is limit the visibility of your vehicle.

·
Defender of Reality
3,025 Posts
I see a lot of people saying "I park my Challenger/Charger/Wrangler/Gladiator in a garage so I'm not worried."
They don't realize that even with rolling codes the garage door isn't that secure, all it does is limit the visibility of your vehicle.
Best deterrent on a garage door is still the manual physical lock that slides through the track. Hard, if not impossible, to break and costs a thief a ton of time and noise.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,241 Posts
Best deterrent on a garage door is still the manual physical lock that slides through the track. Hard, if not impossible, to break and costs a thief a ton of time and noise.
I think the trick to those is pulling the lock out with a special tool. The other side's often only held in by a sheet metal U that goes into the grooves, though if it's held in by a bit nut, you're absolutely right.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm curious if putting the car into one-time ship mode would disable that hub. Your own key would need to open the door with the manual insert to unlock. Not to use daily but for a long weekend perhaps. I also am a fan of battery disconnect and quick-switches. I think most of our little fleet has some sort of battery disconnect.

·
Registered
Jeep
2,748 Posts
I had a garage door like that. I absolutely HATED that lock. In my case, it didn't work. They broke the window and got in my garage that way.

·
Virginia Gentleman
16,386 Posts
Probably the best theft deterrent I heard of was at a Mazda dealership (might have been all Mazda's at the time). In addition to the key there was a removable chip. The chip was required to start the vehicle but could be removed once the vehicle was running. This may have been before keys had chips, and a rolling code (late 80's maybe).

Anyway, an attempt to steal a number of vehicles at a nearby Mazda dealership failed. They broke into the dealership, located the keys and tried to drive off with them - it was suspected there was "help" from someone employed there. Since the "removable chip" had been removed and stored separate from the keys, not one car was stolen.

Anyway, all the battery disconnects, and such won't stop a determined thief. Several years ago, my '92 Plymouth Acclaim was stolen while I was at work (worked nights at the time - beside that - who the hell steals a Plymouth?). The thieves bent the driver door, popped the parking brake and towed it away. It was recovered a few hours later a few blocks away. Seems when they popped out the key cylinder it disrupted the connections and wiring such that the vehicle would not start. This was just outside the DC city limits. The police told me it was a common tactic to tow a vehicle from a lot, then drive it across the city line into the city where they would part it out. City law prohibited tow trucks from towing at night without the owner present. To get around this, thieves would tow it from wherever, and then attempt to drive it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts