Allpar Forums banner

Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 2005 Has my engine been replaced?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  valiant67 
#1 ·
I have a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, VIN number is 2D4GP44L55R395072

It seems to me that the engine in it may have been replaced at a time, the numbers on the label on the Valve Cover are

TPTE1351401348

P04866504AA 38RS 504AA

Can anybody help me find out if this engine has been added to the car and if so at what time/mileage?

The car now has 223931 miles on it, runs like a clock and I am very happy with it. I have in my time had 5 other models of the Chrysler Minivan, in Norway in the 9-ties. Really great cars.

I hope you may be able to assist me on this,

Best regards Trgrend

#2 ·
I would assume in 2005 that they were still putting the VIN (or at least part of the VIN) on the engine. So the solution would be to look in the location on the engine block where the VIN is stamped to see if it matches your van's VIN. I don't know where they stamp that information on a 2005 V6. The part number decal info you posted probably won't narrow this down.

Other things you can look for is the casting date (again I'm not sure where it is located) to see if the engine date would agree with the van's manufacture date. The date for the van should be on the door decal. Generally the engine block would be cast a month to a few months before the van was built.

if the engine was replaced, you may never know when. You could have a dealer run the VIN for service work - but that would show only if it was done at a dealer. You could pay to run a CarFax to see if another shop replaced it - but not every facility reports into CarFax.

#3 ·
Welcome to Allpar. Check to see the last 8 of your VIN here.
Vehicle Info sent to your Conversations. No dealer history of engine replacement.
It may have had a power steering gear, water pump and sliding door service years ago.

#4 ·

Thank you both for great and fast answers. I went out and opened the hood to look.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Bumper

This is the number I found on the engine. I looked at the left rear of the engine just behind the exhaust bend and I cannot find any number there.
I have had the car for 5 years now and have put 30k miles on the odometer. I get a lamp for the transmission constantly, the transmission fault code from the ECM is P0740 Status $18 Torque Converter Clutch circuit/open. B0138 is the code I get from the transmission TCM. If I erase the codes the lamp will be lit again usually after aproximately 12 miles on the highway. I suspect that the lock up may slip but if there is another possibility I would of course pursue that before opening the transmission. I have replaced the whole solenoid block (I took a chance on it) but that didn't help. Hope I can get some good advice on this. I have the Foxwell N680 PRO if there are codes I should try to read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.