Allpar Forums banner
61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Forget 1987 things were already going down hill by then, the hay day of Stock Car Racing was the 60’s. The factory involvement is what made NASCAR interesting. NASCAR,s attempt to even the field was the beginning of the end. The attempt to make racing into a driver cult by using the same cars created the mess we have today. 40 cars in a parade around a circle track with performance so close the only way to pass is with a team member pushing you. back when I was a fan one car might have more power, another might have better brakes and yet another might corner faster, this led to real racing, opposed to the boring show of modern NASCAR. Yes I may be critical, but you would be too if you were a fan back in the days of real racing, as I was.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
NASCARs don’t race in the rain because it would be far too dangerous. The available traction and speed the cars achieve combine to make wet races impossible. Indy is the same way. Big fast ovals and rain simply do not mix.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I would come back to NASCAR, 1) if I had a horse in the race, 2) if I could tell who won the race without having to download an app, 3) if the cars had differentiation other than the stickers on the nose and tail, and where the plumbing enters and leaves the block.

I am not against spec series. That’s how you control costs. However, NASCAR is a spec series with runaway costs.

Sell NASCAR to the team owners like SCCA did for TransAm ten years ago, and you’d see NASCAR take off again.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
NASCARs don’t race in the rain because it would be far too dangerous. The available traction and speed the cars achieve combine to make wet races impossible. Indy is the same way. Big fast ovals and rain simply do not mix.
Hell last years rolex was delayed half way through because of rain, f1 was delayed a year or two also

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Only reason for Dodge to get back into NASCAR is sales. Certainly no other reason to put Dodge stripes on a spec car. Seems kinda wrong we don't have a Charger on the track, real or spec. I watched "In the Blink of an Eye" about Michael Waltrip on Tue. I grew up just a short drive from Owensboro, KY. Also knew a cousin of the Earnhardts from my Ft Sill days. He was in Korea when Dale Sr got killed. All that and a few trips to IMS, both for the 500 (2016) and a Saturday NASCAR race before the Brickyard race, gave me a greater appreciation for stock car racing, since prior to the Intrepid, I don't remember any Mopar NASCAR stuff, since I would have been 2 when they got out in 75. Dad was into drag racing before he married Mom. Farming takes all your time, so all of that is secondary when you're 30, farming full time, with a wife and a tricycle motor.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,322 Posts
I'd like to ask everyone to keep Ryan Newman, driver of the #6 Ford, in your thoughts and prayers. Newman's car hit the outside wall hard head on and then was flipped over and landed on its top at the finish and skidded another 200-300 feet before coming to a stop. The driver's side top was crushed significantly. Newman was leading as the field was approaching the finish line on the last lap (2nd overtime attempt). Ryan Blaney (#12 Ford) attempted to push Newman to the finish but didn't quite do it correctly causing the #6 to veer sharply to the right, hit the outside wall head on, spun and then was broadsided by the #32 (La Joie) on the driver's side of the #6. Newman's car then flipped and landed hard on the top driver's side and skidded 200-300 feet on its top.

FOX broke for commercial and never showed Newman being extricated from his car. All they said was Newman had been pulled from the car and was being transported to the local hospital.

Hamin (#11 Toyota) won the race with Blaney 2nd. The victory lane celebration was very subdued as everyone expressed concern about Newman.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,322 Posts
team racing, pushing a car to victory. This is what you get when all the cars are spec cars
Was that really necessary? A driver is in the hospital with serious, non life threatening injuries and you choose to make these comments? Disgusting.

·
Premium Member
2002 Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 with Cummins.
4,441 Posts
Nascar doesn't have much wiggle room when it comes to racing. It's either like this or have someone like a Jimmy Johnson lap everybody and lead the entire race. Or go back further. Richard Petty, who was my favorite win 27 races in a season. People that root for other drivers or cars to win have no chance with racing, where one guy always dominates.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,205 Posts
It was chilling watching the fire at the rear of the car, with gas leaking out plainly visible. When nothing else was shown it was very concerning. I have always said that compared to athletes in other professional sports, NASCAR and other auto sport drivers face the most danger of all. The cars are much much safer than when I started watching NASCAR but there is still a great element of danger due to the amount of kinetic energy involved in the very high speeds.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Forget 1987 things were already going down hill by then, the hay day of Stock Car Racing was the 60’s. The factory involvement is what made NASCAR interesting. NASCAR,s attempt to even the field was the beginning of the end. The attempt to make racing into a driver cult by using the same cars created the mess we have today. 40 cars in a parade around a circle track with performance so close the only way to pass is with a team member pushing you. back when I was a fan one car might have more power, another might have better brakes and yet another might corner faster, this led to real racing, opposed to the boring show of modern NASCAR. Yes I may be critical, but you would be too if you were a fan back in the days of real racing, as I was.
When NASCAR permitted the Gran Prix trunk to "grow" a little for more down force I thought "Uh Oh." That was the beginning for my losing interest.

I remember a factory running change on a Dodge Coronet. Chrysler moved the grille screen forward a little in it's chrome frame to improve aerodynamics on super speedways.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Latest update. We just got an update from Newman's dad: Ryan is sitting up and awake and alert, bleeding is in front of head but controllable, bruising on top and left side of head pretty badly, hasnt attempted to walk yet but doctors dont think he will have an issue. Remaining in ICU for tonight

Please keep Ryan and his family your thoughts and prayers.....

Latest official Newman update. It is making the rounds on NASCAR facebook communities it looks legit.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,322 Posts
Latest update. We just got an update from Newman's dad: Ryan is sitting up and awake and alert, bleeding is in front of head but controllable, bruising on top and left side of head pretty badly, hasnt attempted to walk yet but doctors dont think he will have an issue. Remaining in ICU for tonight

Please keep Ryan and his family your thoughts and prayers.....

Latest official Newman update. It is making the rounds on NASCAR facebook communities it looks legit.
The way the driver's side of the roof was damaged (from what I could see the roll cage collapsed) I'm not surprised about the head injuries. I've read he was awake and alert. Very good news! God is Great!

61 - 80 of 100 Posts