Allpar Forums banner
81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Latest update. We just got an update from Newman's dad: Ryan is sitting up and awake and alert, bleeding is in front of head but controllable, bruising on top and left side of head pretty badly, hasnt attempted to walk yet but doctors dont think he will have an issue. Remaining in ICU for tonight

Please keep Ryan and his family your thoughts and prayers.....

Latest official Newman update. It is making the rounds on NASCAR facebook communities it looks legit.
Seems like that was a rumor as Roush posted a picture today with an update stating he is walking around, no head cuts in the picture

·
Registered
234 Posts
Agreed, but it's great to see the picture, still, it makes one wonder why the hospital hasn't had a presser yet and said anything about extent of the injury. If he truly is as in good shape as the picture shows then its a bigger miracle than we thought.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
Straight up miracle NASCAR will just sweep it away instead of doing what they should and use it as a good reason to end GWCs and stage racing.
GWC's and stage racing have nothing to do with why Newman wrecked. It has more to do with locking bumpers, drafting and the overall design of the cars. Had Blaney never tried to lock bumpers with Newman and push him the wreck would have never happened. The current rules at the Cup level allow the drivers to lock bumpers and get a push resulting in big runs. At the Iffinity level, it is illegal to lock bumpers, but they can bump draft.

As Pearson said years ago, they should remove the restrictor plates/ spacers, front air dam and the rear spoiler. Then if they can do 200 mph in the turns so be it. Those changes would force the driver(s) to get off the gas and they wouldn't need to lock bumpers to get the big runs.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Whatever it takes to get back to the 10-15 car pack prior to areo matching movement. The guys need room to maneuver, What we see with speedway plate racing now is getting to where it is not fun to watch. The guys just simply have nowhere to go and no time to react if there is a hole because the cars are too equal.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,273 Posts
Whatever it takes to get back to the 10-15 car pack prior to areo matching movement. The guys need room to maneuver, What we see with speedway plate racing now is getting to where it is not fun to watch. The guys just simply have nowhere to go and no time to react if there is a hole because the cars are too equal.
Yes, the cars are more or less equal, but with the huge spoiler on the back it allows the trailing car to get a good draft and possibly a good run to pass the lead car. However, since they are usually racing in packs two or three wide there's no where to go with the run. Look at Ross Chastain's attempt to pass in the later stages (caused one of the big ones). He had a good run (was probably 10 mph faster than the car in front of him). He couldn't go up the track as there was a line of cars, but there was a gap between the car in front of him and the double yellow line below. Ross shot for that gap, but the car that he attempted to pass on the inside drifted down slightly causing the wheels of Ross's car to touch the apron (not banked) and he subsequently got loose and lost control and the wreck was on.

I really don't care for the pack racing, but I don't want to watch a race where they all get strung out with little or no passing. Michigan, California, Chicago and Kansas come to mind (all cookie cutter tracks) though the current race package does help them not get so strung out and there is more passing than in past years.

·
Registered
234 Posts
That's a people difference in people. I don't need 3 wide, four deep to call it a good race. Any race is a good race whether it's won by a bumper,
three laps, or just because you pit at the perfect time.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
They need teh 2 car tandom racing again. It was fun being able to sit in a pack and when needed they could really hook together and either catch up or break away from a short amount of time

·
Registered
5,904 Posts
Don't ask me what it means. Your guess is as good as mine. This is basically a drag racing site but their rumors often have turned out to be accurate - often but not 100%.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Check the last post date before replying. No sense resurrecting dead posts as "zombies."

·
Registered
135 Posts
Back in 2001 my cousin noticed an add in a magazine that looked like a Dodge in Nascar trim, a few weeks later he saw red Nascar haulers at Disney World Raceway and while he was making a delivery to the speedway someone told him they thought Dodge was testing cars there. So when I saw this video I wondered if there were any hidden messages from the guys in the video wearing Dodge Nascar style race suits.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts