1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Chevrolet is GM's "only car brand"???????

There's not exactly a big spread from top to bottom.

·
MoPaR oR No CaR
1,068 Posts
This list is unfortunate. I'd be very interested to know what the exact metrics were and what the specific cases were that led to the poor responses. Simplistic percentage moves don't really tell the whole story, but the general public reading this may not understand that.

John, I agree on the Challenger tail lights, mine are also poorly matched. I don't know if that has been corrected since 2009 though. I will say we have had no issues with our 2012 T&C after one year. Maybe our experience is reflected in the fact the Chrysler brand quality improved in this survey.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Methodology: The August 2013 ACSI report on automobiles is based on interviews with 4,078 customers, chosen at random and contacted via telephone and email between April 6 and May 22, 2013. Customers were asked to evaluate their recent purchase and experiences with automobiles manufactured by the largest companies in terms of market share, plus an aggregate category consisting of “all other” and thus smaller auto nameplates.

So, they called a bunch of new car buyers only a short-time after purchase. Much of this reflects the dealer experience from the sale, especially if there were no quality issues.

Call the exact same sampling in another 2 years and let's rework those rankings!

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
So, a spread of 79 to 88 is "in the cellar" to "excellent"? I never was told my work was "excellent" when I got an 88 on an exam. Nor was it "in the cellar" with a 79.

This is pure drek.

Reactions: djsamuel

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Bob Lincoln said:
So, a spread of 79 to 88 is "in the cellar" to "excellent"? I never was told my work was "excellent" when I got an 88 on an exam. Nor was it "in the cellar" with a 79.

This is pure drek.
Yes, this is curving when it is not required.

If you gave a test and these were the grades, you would be happy that everyone did so well.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Yes, this is curving when it is not required.

If you gave a test and these were the grades, you would be happy that everyone did so well.
No kidding...

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
What a load. My Journey has been TOTALLY problem free for the whole year we have owned it. Impressed a Buick owner last night when we went to visit another minister. His has a few more miles than mine but has literally spent a combined MONTH in the shop the last year.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I believe the issue is that this journalist is taking liberties with the findings of the study. It was specifically stated that this was experience regarding recent purchases. I found another article about this...

http://www.freep.com/article/20130827/BUSINESS0104/308270015/general-motors-ford-chrysler-toyota-honda-mercedes

Nowhere in this article did they say that the survey said quality for US Makers is crap. There is conjecture that quality might have something to do with it, but that is just that, conjecture.

·
MoPaR oR No CaR
1,068 Posts
Based on the Freep article and the ACSI website, it appears this ACSI report is taken completely out of context by the originally posted report. The actual report is about overall customer satisfaction and was spun to equate to product quality.

This historical report from the ACSI website paints a little clearer picture. Dodge has scored as low as 75 and never higher than 81.

http://www.theacsi.org/acsi-results/acsi-benchmarks-august

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
OMG the world is coming to an end, but hey, bogus surveys and miniscule changes in percentages and the decision is made by. I kind of lose credibility on a person's writing ability when he has articles with titles of, Starbucks needs to sell pizza, Will Walmart "Made in America" hurt China?, and BMW coming back after a 6percent decrease (as of this article). At least Chrysler was up 6%, which I would consider a plus.

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Quality vs Satisfaction is related, but not the same.

Low quality will probably mean low satisfaction, but high quality wouldn't always get a high satisfaction rating if they bought the wrong vehicle for them, or something else.

We love our 2011 Caravan, but there are a few things that should have been fixed since 2008...(fast brake wear, sliding doors rubbing on rear quarter panels, sliding door latch issues, etc)

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm very happy with the fit and finish on my 2013 300C. In some ways light years ahead of the quality of my 2010 IS250 however in other ways alittle behind. All and all, no complaints.

·
Paper Tag Rubicon
4,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PAMoparMan said:
...it appears this ACSI report is taken completely out of context by the originally posted report. The actual report is about overall customer satisfaction and was spun to equate to product quality.

This historical report from the ACSI website paints a little clearer picture...

http://www.theacsi.org/acsi-results/acsi-benchmarks-august
Interesting, I knew AllPar Truth Sleuthers would come through. Why are some writers still so quick to "diss" The Big Three?

PAMoparMan said:
John, I agree on the Challenger tail lights, mine are also poorly matched. I don't know if that has been corrected since 2009 though.
My 2009 tail lamps were straight. Seems like all the Challengers on the lot Friday had the Retro Tail Lamp Alignment Package.

·
3,813 Posts
IMPERIAL4EVER said:
I'm very happy with the fit and finish on my 2013 300C. In some ways light years ahead of the quality of my 2010 IS250 however in other ways alittle behind. All and all, no complaints.
Out of blatant curiosity, what ways do you think it is light years ahead and in what ways behind?

·
Registered
212 Posts
I can honestly say I would put Jeep at or near the bottom, as far as wrangler goes. I have heard they have gotten better sicne my 2010 was built and the GC is supposed to be really good, but if I was poleld today it would not be pretty :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
John Rogers said:
Really, US car makers have "fallen back into old habits"? Already after just a few short years? I know I'm not impressed with my Challenger's Retro Tail Light Alinement Package.

So what am I not seeing? Once again enlightened AllPar members read between the lines.
http://247wallst.com/autos/2013/08/27/u-s-auto-quality-crushed-again-as-trend-toward-imports-returns/
John Rogers said:
Really, US car makers have "fallen back into old habits"? Already after just a few short years? I know I'm not impressed with my Challenger's Retro Tail Light Alinement Package.

So what am I not seeing? Once again enlightened AllPar members read between the lines.
http://247wallst.com/autos/2013/08/27/u-s-auto-quality-crushed-again-as-trend-toward-imports-returns/
The degeneration of the journalistic profession continues unabated. It used to be that failing college students fled to the Education Department to get their degrees. Now they flee into Journalism. The resultant lack of quality in Journalists is self evident in publications.

Detroit was mandated to downsize by law, and the Japanese didn't have to change a single thing with their autos. New Detroit models, stuffed with totally new downsized parts, some of which proved to be poor and bad, had about 750 problems per hundred vhicles, while Japanese cars were more reliable, and had only 350 problems per hundred on average.

Back then, that translates to 7.5 problems per car with Detroit iron, and 3.5 for the Japanese, who also artificially enhanced their scores by never bringing first year models to America, and under the ken of Consumer Reports. They worked out their teething problems, using their own citizens as guinea pigs, to work out these first year bugs, we all know new cars models tend to have. Both GM and Ford copy this, and models to be sold in America are first sold overseas for a while. Chevy's Cruze and Sonic, and Ford's Fiesta and Focus all went that route to enhance their subsequent American quality image.

Today the very best cars have .9 to 1.1 problems per hundred, and the absolute worst 1.1 to 1.5 problems per hundred, a statistical meaninless near tie, or an average best car with 1-1 problems on average, compared to a worst car with 1-1.5 problems on average.

Both scores are way better than 25 years ago. Cars are way better and people are noticing that. Remaining differences may well be attributed just to the number of relatively new models versus mature models a vendor sells. Is it any wonder the Camry and Corolla are relative antiques in the marketplace? Toyota rightly fears what a new Corolla and Camry would do to its fading image for vastly better reliability; and its dwindling relevance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts