Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
I still don't quite get the direction they're going in with either Dodge or Chrysler. Maybe they're still not sure.

I can see giving all the MPV's to one brand or another but under what gameplan do they split them?

It would make sense to me to give Chrysler all the family cars and Dodge all the sportier cars and youth oriented models.

·
Registered
241 Posts
This is what I would do>

Aim Dodge at the young at heart, single people, car enthusiasts and first time buyers. Quit Dodge MPV's and keep the Dart, the new RWD Avenger, the Charger and the Challenger. coupe and convertible. Put an emphasis on rear wheel drive except for the affordable youth oriented Dart entry car.

Aim Chrysler at the family market selling safety, convenience and technology with a touch of upscale. Aim at Volvo and Acura intenders at a mass market price. Make the Town and Country a TraversePthfinderExplorer competitor. Make the minivan a "Chrysler Grand Caravan" . Give the Journey replacement to Chrysler. Move the 300 more upscale sort of it's own brand. The Durango can stay Dodge until 2017 when the GRand Wagoneer takes over or keep it as a rear wheel drive specialty vehicle

Dividing them like this allows very focused advertising and marketing. In the short run, keep the Avenger, Dodge Grand Caravan and Journey around as price leaders as long as it makes sense.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
So, he confirms that there is a master plan to consolidate brands, then.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Try the statement this way :

Dodge figures into our master plan to consolidate brands. Getting rid of Dodge, however, won't happen Right Away.
{Yes ... I took liberties with the comment}

It wouldn't look good for the Centennial celebration.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Do I have to repost the quote from GM about Pontiac, mere weeks before it was shut down?

Any executive that would admit to such a plan would be fired quite quickly.

Reactions: Paul J. Reed

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I'm posting this separately from my previous alleged contribution, mainly because it suggests a bit of a tangent :

If there is a further tie-up with Mazda (perhaps partnering or even absorbing them completely), a few of their lines are pretty stout competition for Dodge's product line. They receive fairly regular kudos for both Mazda3 and Mazda6, not to mention Miata. But then there is some differentiation with Mazda5 as opposed to a full-scale minivan. Mazda5 squares more evenly with the Euro-notion of an MPV; but seems ripe for re-casting as a CUV; or perhaps providing the base on which they can convince the buyer into thinking they (FiChryMazda) have a CUV for them. Maybe deepening ties with Mazda would enable them (FiChry) to improve their I4 line without commencing costly and time-consuming R&D.

Thinkin out loud, actually; nothing more.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Yes bit a GM exec also said and its true "anything we were gonna do with Pontiac we should have done with Chevy"

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
Do I have to repost the quote from GM about Pontiac, mere weeks before it was shut down?

Any executive that would admit to such a plan would be fired quite quickly.
No doubt. But we won't fire ourselves for reading body language, and seeing the white space between the comments.

·
Registered
7,389 Posts
There is no Brands (aka Divisions) anymore there is marketing focused product labeling. I like Dodge as a Market focused Product any positive news is good news.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Jeepnut said:
Yes bit a GM exec also said and its true "anything we were gonna do with Pontiac we should have done with Chevy"
I haven't yet looked for any comments from those in the know at the time, but it would be interesting to put insider comments about the phase-out of Oldsmobile up next to those involving Saturn and Pontiac.

I realize the need of and impact of those three brands' departures were pretty heavy. But it would've been interesting to be the fly on the wall while things evolved to the ultimate closure of those marques.

·
Administrator
35,284 Posts
This is news, how?

I mean, really, who thinks Dodge is going away?

SRT is now a brand.
Ram is now a brand.
Mopar is now a brand.

The only thing not to become a brand is Plymouth.

Dodge is becoming affordable muscle.

Chrysler is becoming Hyundai (that is, cars that look more costly than they are, and go from entry level up the range to near luxury... what I used to call Plymouth-with-chrome).

SRT is, well, SRT.

Jeep is continuing on the same course as it has been, except that every model now has to have a Trail Rated version that can be taken seriously. (Yes, that includes the B-SUV).

As for GM... under that CEO, didn't they say “Pontiac will be a niche car, there will be no mainstream Pontiacs, Pontiac is sports cars only” and the next day announce a Pontiac rebrand of Aveo?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Let me say first that I have absolutely NO idea whether the Dodge brand will grow, shrink, or die.

And it's clear that any executive would be fired for saying it is going away. So they will deny it is going away.

But what if the brand is NOT going to go away, or even might grow? They would deny it is going away in that circumstance. Which would actually be TRUE--it wouldn't be dying, in that situation.

The fact that one would ALWAYS state that it isn't going away, yet in some situations it might go away, is the reason everyone doubts the answer. The problem is that there is no way for the executive to "prove" that he is telling the truth. So everyone assumes the sky is falling.

Aren't we getting a little sick of second-guessing the scientist who tells us the sun will rise tomorrow?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
Dart sales suck.

We know Dodge will never regain the volume lost by splitting Ram and SRT off.

That revenue is gone along with a few hundred thousand units per year.

We know Dodge loses Durango around 2018.

Grand Caravan goes away in another year or two.

That's another loss of 150,000 units.

Avenger might come back as RWD, but it is dubious.

Dodge might get a crossover (why? to compete with Jeep?)

So, a division that just lost hundreds of thousands in volume is just supposed to become a niche player?

That is exactly what was said about Pontiac before the axe fell.

Show me a clear future for Dodge knowing that there is nothing new that is CONFIRMED for Dodge in the near future.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Forget Pontiac lets compare this Dodge situation to........... "Oldsmobile" can someone tell me what the Heck was Oldsmobile marketed towards with Buick and Cadillac apart of GM.??? Did it make sense to dump Oldsmobile??

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
69DartGTS said:
Forget Pontiac lets compare this Dodge situation to........... "Oldsmobile" can someone tell me what the Heck was Oldsmobile marketed towards with Buick and Cadillac apart of GM.??? Did it make sense to dump Oldsmobile??
What is Dodge marketed towards with Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, Alfa and Maserati?

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,997 Posts
Dodge = sporty daily driver (mostly sedans and maybe a crossover or two)
Chrysler = entry-level Luxury (mostly sedans, but more hatches and crossovers)

[give or take the minivan for either brand]

Jeep = SUV and CUV territory (from super-base Com/Patriot to the high-luxury Super Waggy)
Ram = Trucks & Commercial vans. Pretty straight forward.
Fiat = Mini (or rather, what Mini is to BMW)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
What is Dodge marketed towards with Chrysler, Jeep, Fiat, Alfa and Maserati?
Its the only brand that can be marketed towards the Youth and those looking for affordable transportation covering C segment and larger.
Chrysler Comes close though upscale, can come off to "family oriented"
Fiat also comes close but can be quite pricy and to small for the average suburban folk, perfect for city nesters.
Alfa and Maserati is to far out of reach.

·
Registered
210 Posts
suzq044 said:
Dodge = sporty daily driver (mostly sedans and maybe a crossover or two)
Chrysler = entry-level Luxury (mostly sedans, but more hatches and crossovers)

[give or take the minivan for either brand]

Jeep = SUV and CUV territory (from super-base Com/Patriot to the high-luxury Super Waggy)
Ram = Trucks & Commercial vans. Pretty straight forward.
Fiat = Mini (or rather, what Mini is to BMW)
Yeah I 2nd this,just add Alfa as Premium Dodges and Fiats. Maseratti as Premium Chryslers and Jeeps.
Well, that's my opinion.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts