Allpar Forums banner

DODGE isn't going anywhere

6K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  abgwin 
#1 ·
#2 ·
All it takes is a "seed" to start a rumor. While I think it totally absurd anyone could believe Dodge would be going by the wayside, ANY thing is possible these days..... but.... to think of such a concept AND believe it would be to believe EVERYthing stated on April 01 of each year.... Dodge is heading in the right direction. My bet is that is will become MORE/VERY strong in the very near future. There are more Dodge/Chrysler/Fiat products on the road around down south than in recent memory. While just my neck of the woods doesn't represent the whole world, it does represent sales.
It chaps my behind to hear negative rumors.... and Dodge going away is NOTHING but a rumor.

All take care.

#4 ·
Muther said:
WOW...

an auto journalist blogger that does their research (i.e. reads Allpar.com), and isn't just speculating wildly. Thanks.
....and who offers no clear evidence other than the words of Sergio Marchionne.......which have been 100% spot on! /sarcasm

#5 ·
Lots of good points, just the same as there were reasons to keep Plymouth, but still opinion, only history will show whether or not Dodge remains.

#10 ·

#11 ·

Reactions: ehaase
#12 ·
Nobody really will know until we see whats on tap for 2016 and beyond. I think the Rumors are based in part on the new CAFE regs. Who knows how this will affect Dodge and Chrysler. Fiat 500s aren't selling that well either. So Fiat as a replacement brand for Dodge might not be much better. However, the new owners are Italian. Speculation is what auto forums and blogs were made for.

Reactions: ehaase
#13 ·
I don't think that Dodge is going anywhere either. I'm more worried about Chrysler than Dodge simply based on the number of models. Chrysler has three major designs in the 300, the 200, the 200 covertible (which is sufficiently different to warrant differentiation in my opinion) and the Town and Country.

Dodge has the Charger, the Challenger, the Avenger, the Dart, the Durango, the Journey, and the Grand Caravan. Even if Dodge loses the minivan, the Avenger, and the Durango they still have the same number of models as Chrysler, and with the full-size car as the police market, the Challenger as a very successful car I don't see them going away.

#15 ·
I know those are 2012/2013 surveys, but I'm wondering what the data actually represents.

For the 2012 Customer retention survey, you would have to guess that the majority of people are not coming from 2011+ refreshed Chrysler vehicles, so those numbers are actually pretty good IMO. If my Caliber was my only interaction with a Chrysler vehicle I'd never buy one again. I'd be interested to see how this changes in the next few years.

For the 2013 Vehicle Dependability Study, is that for brand new vehicles only or all vehicles? (JD Powers does a first 100 days survey right, so I'm curious if this is the data points, or if it's a more general survey) Also, I'd like to know what qualifies as a "problem" for dependability. Something like a vehicle blowing up on the highway should not be classified the same as a customer's cell phone not connecting to the bluetooth in the vehicle.

#16 ·
I don't fit JD Power either, I guess... turns out the worst reliability I had on my Spirit (18 years old) was due to my own stupidity when doing a modification.

#17 ·
B10alia said:
I don't fit JD Power either, I guess... turns out the worst reliability I had on my Spirit (18 years old) was due to my own stupidity when doing a modification.
...and I wonder how many owners doing the survey are likely to indicate a self-imposed problem as a problem with a vehicle?

#19 ·
geraldg said:
The one question I ask is why did they change the trucks from Dodge to Ram ?? :whistle:
This has been answered many times before.

Separating the Dodge cars from the Ram trucks as a separate line of business provided for better use of marketing funds among other things.

Or, if that's unacceptable, they did it purely to upset consumers.

Take your pick.

#20 ·
I just wish that they'd left a half-ton with Dodge. Kind of like how General Motors has their GMC trucks division that sells light duty and medium duty trucks, yet Chevrolet continues to sell light duty trucks.

In this scenario they could have given the beefier-looking front-clip sheet metal of the 2500 and 3500 to the "RAM" marque even on a 1500, and had a 1500 and maybe even a 2500 from Dodge with the current 1500's front-clip sheet metal. That would preclude the Cummins in the Dodge line, but leave it in the RAM line. For marketing, don't offer the vinyl seats and rubber floors options in the Dodge line, make it cloth and base leather as a lifestyle truck, and make the RAM line the variant that can go for everything from the vinyl/rubber to the high-end leather cowboy-cadillac scenario. Heck, if there's a real desire to differentiate, don't even offer a longbed for the Dodge version, make that exclusive to the RAM version.

Yeah, I know, old argument... *sigh*

#23 ·
Stratuscaster said:
This has been answered many times before.

Separating the Dodge cars from the Ram trucks as a separate line of business provided for better use of marketing funds among other things.

Or, if that's unacceptable, they did it purely to upset consumers.

Take your pick.
I was VERY against the separation of Ram and Dodge...

But now, it just makes sense to me. Turns out, change can be a good thing.

#24 ·
Muther said:
WOW...

an auto journalist blogger that does their research (i.e. reads Allpar.com), and isn't just speculating wildly. Thanks.
I've been visiting this site for ages, but this thread caught my eye. Trust me when I say that the potential demise of Dodge and the "speculation" involved has nothing to do with CAFE and is based on much better information than the unsubstantiated dreams of the Ontario Street Car writer.

#25 ·
UN4GTBL said:
I know those are 2012/2013 surveys, but I'm wondering what the data actually represents.

For the 2012 Customer retention survey, you would have to guess that the majority of people are not coming from 2011+ refreshed Chrysler vehicles, so those numbers are actually pretty good IMO. If my Caliber was my only interaction with a Chrysler vehicle I'd never buy one again. I'd be interested to see how this changes in the next few years.

For the 2013 Vehicle Dependability Study, is that for brand new vehicles only or all vehicles? (JD Powers does a first 100 days survey right, so I'm curious if this is the data points, or if it's a more general survey) Also, I'd like to know what qualifies as a "problem" for dependability. Something like a vehicle blowing up on the highway should not be classified the same as a customer's cell phone not connecting to the bluetooth in the vehicle.
As soon as I saw that, I was thinking the EXACT same thing. So, first, does this vehicle count a person who buys a used Chrysler, then replaces with another used Chrysler a "retained customer". Or must it be new to new, or can it be used to new??? But then to your point. This survey would almost assuredly have to be based mostly off customers largely predating 2011. And likely ranging from 2004-2010 or so if we assume the majority of owners are keeping vehicles for around 5 years. (I think that's not far from the average). So basically, during this time, DCX crippled most of the vehicles under these name plates. The Ram 1500 was never hated during the DCX tenure. Liked less, maybe. But still did ok for most of that time. And Jeep, even for all of it's weaknesses, was still Jeep.

The Chrysler and Dodge brands have been battered and beaten. The Ford and Chevy have always had the upper hand, moreover, GM and Ford had a couple years head start, arguably, to repair their brands. Currently, Chrysler as a brand is showing strides in most surveys, so I think it's ok.

Dodge - well, yes, Dodge has some work to do, but has made strides as well. Now I do think we shouldn't be so comfortable as to assume we can trust SM's words. But I also believe killing Dodge leaves him with a big product gap. So put simply, I don't believe there is much logic to it. Clearly, management is having a hard time deciding what to do with the Dodge and Chrysler brands in terms of placement. Killing Dodge would just make that worse, I feel. So, while I am not sure I have tons of faith in Sergio regarding the direction of these brands, given the sloppy direction of Jeep as well. I do hope he starts to figure it out. IF, IF it turned out there was a D-RWD Dodge in the works, that would give me TONs more faith. As it would allow them more flexibility in placing the 200, and this car. Since midsized sedans are so much the bread and butter, this alone would shore up a huge part of the brands. Give Chrysler another vehicle in the lineup, something slightly upscale (and yes, Chrysler IS upscale. 200 aside, it's hard to argue against it. Not luxury, just upscale) , and we're talking.

#26 ·
Hudson said:
I've been visiting this site for ages, but this thread caught my eye. Trust me when I say that the potential demise of Dodge and the "speculation" involved has nothing to do with CAFE and is based on much better information than the unsubstantiated dreams of the Ontario Street Car writer.
Such as?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.