Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new here but desperately seeking help. My car has trouble maintaining it's normal operating temp while idle/driving in traffic. I live in Florida and the temp out today was 99°. I have to sit idle in the parent pickup line for about 45 minutes. During that time, my temp climbed up to 228 before I turned the heat on to get it to cool down. It never cooled down or maintained temperature on it's on. Parts that are new in the car: Thermostat, Radiator, temp sensor and cooling fan resistor. At this point we're almost out of money to throw out at it. It's a 2011 dodge journey mainstreet V6.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,815 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level? I know it's not easy since the radiator cap is on the overflow and not on the radiator (at least on mine it isn't).

Can you hear the fan running?

One other item to check - if your Journey has rear heat there is a Y split of the heater hose located behind the engine. The Y is made of plastic and over time will crack from the heat of the engine. The Y is impossible to see - you'll have to locate it by feel. The dealer fix is to replace the heater hose assembly ($211) plus labor (3.5 hours). Some have been fortunate and been able to replace just the Y split without replacing the entire assembly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
. . . My car has trouble maintaining it's normal operating temp while idle/driving in traffic. I live in Florida and the temp out today was 99°. I have to sit idle in the parent pickup line for about 45 minutes. During that time, my temp climbed up to 228 before I turned the heat on to get it to cool down. It never cooled down or maintained temperature on it's on. Parts that are new in the car: Thermostat, Radiator, temp sensor and cooling fan resistor. . . . .
How are you measuring and know the exact operating temperature of the engine? Scan tool? Thermal imaging device?

As the engine idles when stopped and engine temperature temperature increases do you hear the radiator cooling fan running as temperature approaches 210 - 215 - 220 deg F? If the air conditioning compressor is running I would expect the radiator fan to be running at least at low speed with idling and no forward movement of the vehicle.

Does the engine temperature go beyond 228 to 230 - 235 and keep increasing if you do NOT operate the heater? It is possible the low speed feature of the radiator fan is not operating but the high speed is functioning and it is not activated until the engine operating temperature reaches 228 - 230 deg F.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How are you measuring and know the exact operating temperature of the engine? Scan tool? Thermal imaging device?

As the engine idles when stopped and engine temperature temperature increases do you hear the radiator cooling fan running as temperature approaches 210 - 215 - 220 deg F? If the air conditioning compressor is running I would expect the radiator fan to be running at least at low speed with idling and no forward movement of the vehicle.

Does the engine temperature go beyond 228 to 230 - 235 and keep increasing if you do NOT operate the heater? It is possible the low speed feature of the radiator fan is not operating but the high speed is functioning and it is not activated until the engine operating temperature reaches 228 - 230 deg F.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm able to watch the temperature digitally through the dash. It's under my settings as "coolant temp" I do hear the fan kick on and run. It will stay cool if the temperature outside is not in the 90s. It just rained and the current temp is 85. My car is maintaining an idle temp of 210. So I was leaning more towards the high speed fan not working. I'm honestly not sure if it goes beyond 230. It didn't get up to 230 until I was driving around town stopping at a bunch of red lights. As long as I can keep the car mostly moving, it tends to be ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank
Have you checked the coolant level? I know it's not easy since the radiator cap is on the overflow and not on the radiator (at least on mine it isn't).

Can you hear the fan running?

One other item to check - if your Journey has rear heat there is a Y split of the heater hose located behind the engine. The Y is made of plastic and over time will crack from the heat of the engine. The Y is impossible to see - you'll have to locate it by feel. The dealer fix is to replace the heater hose assembly ($211) plus labor (3.5 hours). Some have been fortunate and been able to replace just the Y split without replacing the entire assembly.

Good luck!
Hi, I actually dont have a heater in the back. And the kicker is, it's been to the dealer and they told me there was air in my cooling system (I have a self bleed system) and they sent me out the door.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
How many miles? Is it the correct 50/50 mix of HOAT coolant that meets Chrysler MS-9769?
Does the radiator cap hold pressure and vacuum? Many auto parts stores have radiator cap testers. A new one is inexpensive enough.
I have seen radiators plug up. It is unusual and a flush won't help.
If there are cool spots across the radiator core, that would indicate blocked passages. I use a handheld IR point-and-shoot thermometer to look for hot spots and cold spots.
If the level is up, there is circulation and the fan is working, it may be that the radiator is losing efficiency.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
. . . My car is maintaining an idle temp of 210. So I was leaning more towards the high speed fan not working. I'm honestly not sure if it goes beyond 230. It didn't get up to 230 until I was driving around town stopping at a bunch of red lights. As long as I can keep the car mostly moving, it tends to be ok. . . .
Here is a schematic that shows the relays in the TIPM (totally integrated power module). It is in the engine compartment, left or right side. It shows 2 external relays for the radiator fan: low speed and high speed. Swap the high speed relay for the wiper relay. Then try and engage the wipers. If the wipers do not run you have found the problem.

Also you can put the wiper relay in the socket occupied by the high speed fan relay. Drive the vehicle and monitor engine temperature. If engine temperature does not reach 228 deg F then you have resolved the issue: failed high speed fan relay or burned / corroded load side contacts in the relay.

TIPM fuse relay 02.gif

·
Super Moderator
32,052 Posts
Yes, I would suspect incorrect mix of coolant and water, or wrong type.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts