Allpar Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
For myself, Dodge's return to NASCAR Cup competition in 2001 came at the perfect time to create a lifelong superfan. 10 years old, the son of Dodge Dealer, glued to the TV every weekend they were on track. Constantly filling sketch books with drawings of the Dodge Boys hotrods. Twenty years later, I'm doing the same thing, just digitally. That's why I wanted to share these concept designs with the Allpar community.

It's an absolute bummer and a total shame that "America's Performance Brand" has zero presence in America's top racing series. So I wanted to start a discussion. Next Gen is set to bring brand identity back to the sport and we'll find out what that means for the other three on May 5. Street car looks, lower costs, and general excitement around the future of the sport. It's a major opportunity, sitting right in front of us.

So, what would it take for a return to NASCAR? Who leads the charge this time? Besides Gilles and Trostle, who's Stellantis eyes do these need to get in front of? Lets get back to racing.

View attachment 80191

View attachment 80192

View attachment 80193
those look so cool

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,745 Posts
I beg to differ. There were criticisms of NASCAR that it had too many cookie cutter 1.5-2.0 mile ovals - Kansas, Chicago, Michigan, Charlotte, California, Las Vegas - and not enough road courses. Now they add 5 road courses (7 total this year) and they still get criticized? Give me a break. At least NASCAR is trying something different. As far fan attendance you really have to throw out 2020 and 2021 due to the pandemic and the limitations many states have on attending large events. Yes, I know attendance is down from the hay days, but there are still fans out there.

Many have criticized some of the "gimmicks" that NASCAR has put in place. Well, guess where they got them? From the small tracks that run races every Saturday night. Things like stage racing and double file restarts. I'm not crazy about the playoff structure, but again, NASCAR was trying to find an answer to the fan's complaint that drivers weren't always racing hard to win. Doesn't seem to matter what NASCAR does there is always a complaint.
That was never a fan complaint. That was however, a SPONSOR complaint. The original gimmick (the Chase) was created because Winston was leaving the sport as title sponsor and Nascar was trying to court a new cup series sponsor. Enter NEXTEL. They wanted to do two things: 1) Differentiate the "NEXTEL Cup" from the "Winston Cup". 2) Generate more interest in the back half of the season. They typically saw TV ratings in the latter stage of the season wane because other "stick and ball" sports all started up around those months (NFL). Nascar wanted a "game 7" moment for every season's championship and they've steadfastly refused to give up on this manufactured drama concept. Never mind that sports with playoffs don't always have it come down to a game 7 moment. How many times is the Superbowl a blowout that's over by halftime? How many times is the Stanley Cup a 4 game sweep? You don't see other leagues blowing up or tinkering with their championship format every few years because the title wasn't decided in the final moments of the final game.

The real problem is the season is about 6-8 weeks too long. They over expanded during the boom years and they'd rather bulldoze entire grandstands than admit they need to contract and knock some races off the schedule.

All of these other gimmicks are attempts to undo the damage they did in the first place. Brian France is the worst thing that ever happened to Nascar.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I feel like they expanded when the going was good, but abandoned the things that were good about the high times. Interest peaking likely in 2004-2007 or so, when we had high times like "Rocketman" Ryan Newman winning the pole 1 out of 4 times and winning 8 races in 03, with Dodge, and Dodge teams expanding from the 10 cars in 2001-2002 to 12-15 cars on track each week, adding Penske, Evernham expanding to 3 cars, Ganassi expanding to 3 cars, etc. Tons of hype about when Dodge would win a race, then when Dodge would win the Cup, and so on. Then, at the height of popularity, they add Toyota. Dodge starts to pull back, and things go down hill. They should have supported and found ways to keep Dodge and Mopar in the sport at all costs, if nothing else but to keep the Mopar fans coming. They let us go away (again) in favor of having 3 or 4 big teams and just a few engine builders to better control the sport. And, way before COVID hit, attendance had been way down for many years.

JS

·
Registered
864 Posts
Kind of interesting development in the Cup series today reported on Jayski.
Seems there is a big interest in the new gen car and it was reported at least 2 Cup teams are interested in selling their charters. Maybe...some thought on a return for us race fans??

·
Registered
274 Posts
For myself, Dodge's return to NASCAR Cup competition in 2001 came at the perfect time to create a lifelong superfan. 10 years old, the son of Dodge Dealer, glued to the TV every weekend they were on track. Constantly filling sketch books with drawings of the Dodge Boys hotrods. Twenty years later, I'm doing the same thing, just digitally. That's why I wanted to share these concept designs with the Allpar community.
Awesome concept designs. Thanks for sharing.

·
Banned
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,226 Posts
NASCARS lack of credibility is because they allowed the Trojan horse of Toyota in. The last NASCAR race I went to had Toyota Camry pace cars. It made me nauseous. Now I follow Trans Am and F1.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Kind of interesting development in the Cup series today reported on Jayski.
Seems there is a big interest in the new gen car and it was reported at least 2 Cup teams are interested in selling their charters. Maybe...some thought on a return for us race fans??
Teams need to sell their charters to help pay for the next car. The teams selling the charters are already running on "shoestring" budget

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.