Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my engine with a used one. I have a Dodge Nitro R/T 4.0L 2009, but is it possible to take the 2010 or 2011 model engine instead?

Have looked for answers online, there is nothing that confirms it, but it sure looks like it would be possible.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
You shouldn't have any problem using the 2010 or 2011 model. If there are any differences externally, like intake or exhaust, use your existing ones, along with your computer. Essentially make your replacement engine a long block with block, heads, internals, verify oil pan shape (should be the same), and if intake and exhaust manifolds are the same, leave them on the engine. You may want to, just to be on the safe side, get a full gasket set and regasket the engine so you have new seals and gaskets to make sure leaks aren't an issue somewhere soon down the line. I'd go all the way to head gasket replacement since they would be in the kit, know for sure the cylinders are good and the valves are still seating well. It's an extra bit of work, but a pretty nice guarantee for a used engine. An extra cost, but really good insurance is also to replace the oil pump, just because she is already torn down and having fresh oil pressure is always a good thing.

·
Super Moderator
37,239 Posts
The salvage yard interchange lists 2009-2011 as interchangeable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the answer @dana44 , @valiant67 and @ImperialCrown ! Appreciate it a lot.

@dana44 understand your reasoning. I'm trying to make the best decision here based on the fact that my current engine have ran 175k miles and I for sure have a leaking head gasket (gone from not good to pretty bad). My mechanic informed me that the engine didn't sound good either hence he can not guarantee that the quoted job of replacing the head gasket will completely fix my engine. He's happy to do the work but there is a risk the money is wasted.

Either I take apart the whole engine and replace bearings etc. and try to check everything is ok OR I buy a used engine with some kind of guarantee (not sure what is available here). But of course I can have the same problem in the future as well with a used engine.

WHat's your thought on that?

·
KOG
7,034 Posts
I'm curious as to what went wrong as I have that engine in a T&C. Unless the head gasket leaked coolant into the crankcase you should be fine replacing the head gasket. Did you change the timing belt at 100K?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@KOG No leaked coolant in the engine oil, just into combustion chamber, most likely cylinder 6 where I get errors about misfire. Also have a lot of white smoke from the exhaust pipe. And a lot of air build up in the coolant system, especially around the thermostat which probably closes with too much air around it and results in over heated engine.
Timing belt has been replaced quite recently.

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
Yeah, I was talking about a regasket of the new used engine, not your original engine. It is inexpensive insurance, especially the head gaskets and oil leaking no matter what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts