Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And that looks like, for the US at least, losing a few models and gaining another, according to lvelleq:
Durango: The re-engineered Durango goes on sale this fall with an eight-speed automatic transmission and Chrysler's latest interior electronics. These are likely to be the last upgrades for the Durango, which will be replaced in 2015 by a large Jeep SUV, the Grand Wagoneer.

Grand Caravan replacement: The Grand Caravan name could live on in Canada as a rebadged Chrysler Town & Country when the redesigned minivan debuts in 2015. In place of the Grand Caravan in the United States, expect Dodge to offer in 2015 a shorter-wheelbase crossover with three rows of seats.

Journey: The Journey will be dropped in 2015 and replaced by a Chrysler crossover. Production will move from Mexico to the United States.
Original article (subscription may be required): http://www.autonews.com/article/20130902/OEM04/309029957/dodge-seeks-to-craft-image-for-midpriced-performance#ixzz2dkWNJCEv

I had made a statement back in '09 or '10 - that I thought the Grand Caravan and the Durango would likely get morphed into a single crossover...

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
The bit about the T&C staying and the Caravan being dropped is the opposite of what we heard last.
Doesn't make sense IMO.

·
Plymouth Makes It
8,104 Posts
its a rumor till it's a reality.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why would they put all the work and certification and testing into refreshing the Durango, just to sell it for only 1 model year?

And then look at how long they decided to keep Avenger around, after everyone thought it was a dinosaur and was well past its life cycle.

I think if they keep seeing good numbers out of Durango, and it keeps gaining ground like it has this past year, they'll keep it around quite a bit longer. Especially considering how little we've heard of the wagoneer; i cant imagine they're far enough along with that product to have it to market by MY '15.

Of course this is all me just reasoning based on no real facts or info, so those of you who actually know real info, please correct me.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For what it's worth, I've never held fast to the years they throw out - because it's never really clear whether it's calendar year or model year.

·
3,813 Posts
SUNBURNTsnype said:
Why would they put all the work and certification and testing into refreshing the Durango, just to sell it for only 1 model year?

And then look at how long they decided to keep Avenger around, after everyone thought it was a dinosaur and was well past its life cycle.

I think if they keep seeing good numbers out of Durango, and it keeps gaining ground like it has this past year, they'll keep it around quite a bit longer. Especially considering how little we've heard of the wagoneer; i cant imagine they're far enough along with that product to have it to market by MY '15.

Of course this is all me just reasoning based on no real facts or info, so those of you who actually know real info, please correct me.
They didn't say Model Year 15. THey said 2015, which could easily mean model year 2016, which would give it a 2-3 year refresh lifespan which is pretty normal. That being said if the refresh starts selling like crazy, my guess would be the plan will change. Nothing is set in stone.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,996 Posts
I'm still hoping for the Wagoneer. Regardless of what the rumor mill is putting out there; and I hope it's got formidable off-road fortitude, like JK, even if it is (rumored to be) based on the Durango.

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,996 Posts
Yeah, i know.. it's unfortunate. I was just hoping for the Wagoneer to be more of a JK "variation".. but not expected. Since most people in that (higher) range, in the US, anyway, do not offroad their $60k+ vehicles.

·
Registered
149 Posts
suzq044 said:
Yeah, i know.. it's unfortunate. I was just hoping for the Wagoneer to be more of a JK "variation".. but not expected. Since most people in that (higher) range, in the US, anyway, do not offroad their $60k+ vehicles.
the problem I see us that Chrysler is essentially turning their backs on everyone that bought a Durango and finally managed to build up some Brand credence and trust with. I mean once they make Wagoneer upmarket, it will be well out of price range for the majority of Durango owners, and it sounds like everything else that will have 3 rows will be FWD based like Journey or not have the towing capabilities of Durango. Essentially, Chrysler can kiss goodbye everyone who bought Durango looking for those qualities, as the only other optio s will probably be Tahoe/Yukon and Expedition.

If they do make Wagoneer, they better atleast make some base trims that dip down into Durango price points so that current Durango owners arent alienated when it cones time to trade in for the next one.

my two cents.

I know I will trade in my '12 for a '14 or '15 if they do kill it off, just for that reason. And they better atleast make a Mopar Edition or something special before they kill off Durango for good. Send it out in style.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Once again, if rumors are correct, Chrysler takes something that has been doing pretty darn well, been around a long time, get a following, a recent, really nice and pleasant to look at refresh...... and they gotta dump it or name it something else.

The wins just keep coming!

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
RE: Durango being dumped after a refresh...remember the refreshed 2008 Magnum that sold for just 6 months

·
Registered
149 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
RE: Durango being dumped after a refresh...remember the refreshed 2008 Magnum that sold for just 6 months
which i find a little odd as i think that is the best looking version of the bunch. I was actually considering a magnum, as i love the muscular look, rear drive and utility of a wagon. Id love yo find a nice '08 SRT someday. Though I never understood why there werent 3 seatbelts in the back?

Anyways, wasnt the reason for cutting the '08 magnum short due to the '08 crash? Had they known what was going to happen, perhaps they wouldnt have spent the money to refresh it? Or if the '08 crash hadnt happened, were they planning on selling it for a few years yo amortize the investment in the refresh?

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
I am curious how Dodge, that sells by using more incentives than Chrysler or Jeep, is going to move up to "mid-priced performance"?

Dodge is affordable performance, cheap performance, or sporty mainstream vehicles. Moving it up to "mid-priced" (whatever that really means) is no small feat.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
They were losing money on the Magnum. It's very easy to drop an unprofitable product.

The ultimate goal of the Fiat-Chrysler merger is producing a suitable volume of vehicles so as to survive as a global automaker. That aint gonna happen by radically pruning back Dodge.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Erik Latranyi said:
I am curious how Dodge, that sells by using more incentives than Chrysler or Jeep, is going to move up to "mid-priced performance"?

Dodge is affordable performance, cheap performance, or sporty mainstream vehicles. Moving it up to "mid-priced" (whatever that really means) is no small feat.
Now that they announced the 3.0, wouldn't it make sense to drop it into the Dart?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
The outside dimensions are the same as the 3.2 and 3.6 versions. Only bore and stroke are altered (size wise). I don't think it would fit, but OHHHH if it did..... I think I would have a cargasm.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Yes but how much weight would that add to an already heavy car?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Jeepnut said:
Yes but how much weight would that add to an already heavy car?
Great point ...

I think we have to be conscious of, or at least more conscious of Weight-to-Power ratio. ChryFi engines have to pump more HP/TQ per liter than the competition owing to the heavier cars when compared to that model's direct competition.

1 - 20 of 203 Posts