Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be ordering some new tires for the Turbo Z this week and, well.... with the 'new' tired I bought just to get home from Carlisle I would rather not just throw it away. So I thought if I could score an extra (spare) crab wheel I would recondition it like the others and use the tire I bought as the spare. Sure it won't be the same as the new tires but it would be a full sized spare rather than those ballon tires.

So, if anyone has or knows of where I can score a crab wheel in decent condition please let me know.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bob,
I might be able to help you out. The only problem is that I wont be able to get to my rims till next month. I have 5 that need to be redone and they are the 6.5 inch shlby crabs. Will be putting the car away for the year and will grab one then if nobody else chimes in..

·
Registered
451 Posts
I have a full set of 4, but I'm sure you don't want that many and I really don't want to split up the set, but there was some on a Shadow convertible at the pick-n-pull, I noticed the car is gone, they must have crushed it, but maybe they took the wheels off it before they did. I can go back and check. I think they get $25 for aluminum wheels.

Isn't there 2 different widths on these? Does that make a difference to you?

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deder, Let me know what you want for the 'extra' crab. The issue for me is that on my trip back from Carlisle my (what could be) 12 year old tires gave out. One of them split the belt and hobbled into a gas station. I bought a 205/60R15 that is brand new and only has about 300 miles on it. I don't think I just want to trash it. So I thought if I had a spare wheel that would fit that tire I could have a major issue somewhere in the middle of nowhere and still be able to travel at speed with my spare rather than those ballon spares.

So, keep me informed on the extra 'crab'. If I can score an extra wheel I'll put it through the shop like my others and paint it gold etc.

Keith, if you can score a crab for $25 let me know. There is only one width for the crab wheel as far as I know so if it's the wheel with the bottle cap in the middle (WITH THE CENTER CAP PLEASE :) ) like the ones on my Turbo Z then it should be just fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bob,
I believe the crab came in two sizes 6 and 6.5. The 6 are 205 60 and the 6.5 came with 225/50..Im pretty sure about this, maybe wanna check and see what you got..

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just looked up the crab rim and the 6inch was for the shadow not lebaron, my bad. I dont want anything for the rim. Im not going to use it and have 4 more if I need one..Maybe shipping, Im in Minnesota..

·
Registered
262 Posts
The wheel width should be stamped on the inside of the rim. Daytonas were 6.5 inch and Shadow/Caravan ES were 6 inch.

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine are the size which holds the 225/50R15 tires. The spare will not be that size. It's either keep the ballon spare or get a wheel which matches and use the tire I bought on the way home from Carlisle. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Bob,
Its yours if your willing to wait a month. Hope all has been well with you and will let you know when I have it in my possession..Dave

·
Registered
451 Posts
Glad Deder is able to help you out, Went to the pick-n-pull today, either they didn't take the rims off the Shadow or they have already been sold, not a one in the aluminum rim piles. Sorry....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts