Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
10,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to get my southern California dealer to activate the daytime running lights on my 2012 JKUR but they don't know how.

I found the procedure to activate DRLs on my 2012 Challenger some website, and the dealer was able to follow the steps and get them to work, but I haven't had any luck finding the procedure for the JK.

If anyone knows how, please share.

Thanks!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Does the US model have the required DRL lamps?

·
10,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so. I asked my Canada counterparts: they say the headlights come on automatically at medium intensity when the engine is running and the handbrake is released.

In my Challenger, the orange turn signal lights come on automatically when I start the engine and release the handbrake.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I may be wrong, but I always thought the DRL, because it's not as bright, used a separate filament, or control device?
It would seem to me that running a filament at reduced wattage/voltage requires a rheostat, or some other device that would limit lamp life span?
A good way to know might be to check lamp part numbers?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a Canadian spec JK with factory DRLs. The low beams just run at 50% power. It is just a programmed setting but my understanding is US dealers are not allowed by Chrysler to enable it. Only fleet ordered models in the US can get them from the factory. The good news is you can get them enabled with an AEV Procal. It cost a couple hundred for the tool but it will let you make lots of changes. It will let you enable the DRLs on the low beams or use the turn signals or fogs as a DRL. When the DRLs are enabled, they come on in drive and switch off when in park. if you use the turn signal, the DRL on that side will shut off until the signal goes off. I guess this makes the signal more visible but it looks like you have a headlight out when signaling.

·
10,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OMG, you are correct! The AEV Procal has a DRL procedure.

Thanks!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
OMG, you are correct! The AEV Procal has a DRL procedure.

Thanks!
Ha! Ha! I was coming here to tell you that! Thanks, 2012 JKU!

·
10,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, ProCal gives you the choice of running with either the headlights, turn signals or fog lamps on.

I activated the turn signals; are most visible in twilight conditions. Perfect for my winter driving to/from Canada :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
I should correct something I said before. The JK headlight DRL does not shut off when the turn signal is used. That is because it has a seperate turn signal. Most Dodge/Chryslers have the turn signal in the headlight assembly so they do this to improve visibility when signaling. I am glad the JK doesnt have that feature. I find it bothersome.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts