Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everybody

I have a 1974 Plymouth Fury Sedan and I want to restore it (She really needs a good work time) but I have some doubts about the restoration process.

First Problem: I don't live in the U.S, I live in South America and I never seen another plymouth fury in my city. My Plymouth was imported directly from the U.S by the government in 1975 so is impossible to get body parts and interior parts for my car.

Second Problem: Where Can I buy the glass windows for this car? The actually glass have some scratches so I want to change it

Third problem Why is so hard to find parts for a mopar C-Body? I been looking on ebay, yearone and summit racing and there's no parts for C-Body, only B and E Body

I would really appreciate any help that someone can give to me to restore this boat

Thanks

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
C-Bodies have almost never been that popular. As well as this, later C bodies have been considered by most to just be plain distasteful and ugly. I think I heard someone famous quote the interior as "strait out of a run down Vegas hotel". Not that everyone thinks that, especially around here.

Also, parts for cars that people actually want to restore and like are much easier to find. Many people go to restore E and B bodies, A bodies are also moving up there, cause they're the performance and style cars. Cadillacs and Buicks seem to be the only luxury cars you can get parts for to really restore them from the mid-70s...if you can call them Luxury. In a few years, you may see some stuff, but not much.

The easiest way is probably to get other C bodies from the US and part them out for what they have, or find which parts are interchangeable with the E and B bodies and make it work that way...not there is probably too much to do in that aspect other than for the motor and trans.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The restoration process is very difficult at best, parts not being abailable, parts not the right one, but remember, if it isn't available, fix what you have. Sheetmetal is sometimes a problem, but there are places to find good body parts. Glass is still available, internet search should be able to locate a glass shop that will ship, and the last solution to find the hard to find parts is a search for C body websites, they are out there, such as moparfins.com and a few others that usually have a many parts, including searches for old junkyards and salvage yards for parts. As far as the engines, transmisions and electrics, which only a few exceptions, they are the same Dodge, Chrysler and Plymouth components.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses

If I'm right find parts for engine and mechanical components isn't hard just do a search on summitracing or other websites but I want to restore the interior of my Fury.

I'm looking for dash covers, door panels, security belts housing and other parts.

For the exterior I'm looking the windows glass, mirrors, emblems and bezels

But Would be great to have a place to buy body panels or something like this

I just searched on moparfins and I don't find windows glass, mirrors and other parts for my car :( I'll try to do a better search

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
Sorry, for moparfins it would be more introducing yourself and asking if anyone happens to have anything available. The guys over there are a lot more C body fans and have or can locate stuff because they know where it is or have it in their garage, as in your bezels, mirrors, and emblems.

Dash cover would have to be a place called Just Dashes in California, restoration and concours quality work, priced equal to anyone else with a re-covered dashboard.

Door panels, not sure what you have, meaning vinyl or hard plastic, or cloth combination. Just Dashes can do the covering of the plastic panels, might look for material to re-cover the panels if that is what they are. Seat belts can be restored, do a search on that.

Glass should not be difficult, but you may look into a glass polishing kit, it may be a little bit of effort, but definitely cheaper in shipping.

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
Murray Park has lots of C body parts and is a great guy. Even in the US, the only way to restore one of these cars is with parts from another or finding NOS Chrysler parts. Not enough demand for reproduction parts for C bodies.
http://cbodies.com/

·
Registered
85 Posts
The restoration process on any car goes hand in hand with your own ability and tools available. All of it depends on what you want to acomplish with the car. Looking for badging depends on what model it is. Fury I, II, III, Gran Fury? You said it was a sedan so that means 4 door. Interior door panels will not be available in the aftermarket business since they popularity of these cars doesn't warrent mock up's of panels. You can get anything made for a price, and that goes back to what you want to acomplish and how much money you want to spend. Swap meets up here in the states are loaded with items for these cars up to a point. Sheet metal is almost non existant. I see badging and grilles for these types of cars all the time. One good thing about a mid 70's C body is price. Typicaly when you do find items they are really low because there is no demand for them. Your biggest problem is not having the ability to go to swap meets. Check some of the Mopar blog sites and see if you can hook up with a person who would be willing to scout for items for you at swap meets when they pop up. It will be a very long process and the logistics might be a hassle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
valiant67 said:
Murray Park has lots of C body parts and is a great guy. Even in the US, the only way to restore one of these cars is with parts from another or finding NOS Chrysler parts. Not enough demand for reproduction parts for C bodies.
http://cbodies.com/
Thank you I'll talk with he to buy some parts for my fury

Now I need some help with this: I want to change all the fuses of my car but I don't know how many amps must the fuses be. Where Can I find the electrical manual for my car or When can I download it?

Other Question: The wipers of my car isn't working :( when I start the car the wipers motor starts but the wipers don't move, I guess the wipers trans is bad but I don't know where is located the wipers trans. If the wipers trans is broken who can sell a replacement? or must I buy an used wiper trans from a guy like murray?

Thanks a lot!

·
Super Moderator
36,920 Posts
I am not familiar with the setup on your car. Some have a large plastic bushing and you usually need to find a replacement linkage if that goes bad. If it just has the smaller bushings that have failed those can be replaced.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
You can do a search for a wiring diagram online, another Dodge site has them.

The wipers, if you can hear the motor run, may be the connection for the wipers, a plastic piece, which do break on occasion. You will have to pull the three nuts off the wiper motor and pull it out gently to see if it is connected first, then see what is not connected or broken. The motor itself covers many years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Everyone

I've been some busy so I can't check my post status but I'm back again.

I'm going to check the wiring manual to find something that can help me with the restoration

In this moment I need to check de A/C status because the A/C compressor works but appears to be that the A/C fan isn't working.Where's located the fan housing?

I need to check the wipers trans due to I can't drive my car without the wipers working because If a policeman stops me and It don't work he'll give to me a ticket, But I don't know how can I access to the wipers trans. I've been looking under the dash but it isn't located here

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
9 Posts
It sounds like this is your daily driver also. That's tough because C-body's are a challenge to restore in the US. I'm sure Columbia is much tougher. I would ask around to salvage yards in columbia. If your government ordered 1 fury, they probably ordered many. They have to be sitting around somewhere. In the US, usually one salvage yard has a relationship with the local government and get's all there old cars. The main thing is that when your out and about, you've got to keep your head on a swivel looking for cars behind building, in old garages, behind repair shops etc. You may come across another 74 fury just sitting. Other things to remember is that the 74 and 75 Furys were the same body. Even through 77 the Gran Fury's were the same body. The windshield wiper motor is mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment. You should be able to get a replacement from Rock Auto. I can't speak to the shipping or customs into columbia, but the prices are pretty good. Actually the windshield wiper motors didn't change much from the late 60's through the late 70's. Here are a couple more sites that might be of help.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/library.shtml
Great for research

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?ck[ID]=0&ck[idlist]=0&ck[viewcurrency]=USD&ck[PHP_SESSION_ID]=p22ls5d7nsj45n565du3b0ll55
Can get a lot of parts at good prices.

www.searchtempest.com
This is a combined craigslist search. Something like ebay without the BS. You have to watch for scams on this site though. It's worth a phone call to make sure they are real and always ask for additional pictures to make sure they seller really has the item they claim to have. Just a warning, you may get resistance because people will be suspicious of shipping parts to columbia.

http://www.dantesparts.com/vinyltop.html
Somewhat limited but they have some stuff

http://www.classicindustries.com/mopar/parts/?y=1974&sm=142
Mostly aftermarket but if that's your only choice, the parts should work.

http://c2cfabrication.com/
They've got some stuff, mostly just floor and trunk pans.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts