Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,149 Posts
Why is telling the truth so difficult. Do they really think customers who can afford a Merc diesel penny pinch to the last MPG?

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Why is telling the truth so difficult. Do they really think customers who can afford a Merc diesel penny pinch to the last MPG?
Have you ever bought fuel on the economy in Europe? I paid 80 Euro (about $95) to fill a gas Volvo one day because I didn't have my fuel card.

Reactions: T_690

·
Administrator
35,986 Posts
Surprised. I didn't think Zetsche was involved in the diesel affair. Wonder if he just wants to retire at this point rather than face the rather difficult task of fighting entitled executives for another few years.

·
Registered
2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi Limited, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Laredo, 2017 Jeep Wrangler
1,149 Posts
Have you ever bought fuel on the economy in Europe? I paid 80 Euro (about $95) to fill a gas Volvo one day because I didn't have my fuel card.
No but I have been running a 2007 Grand Cherokee Hemi and get from 10-13 mpg and at one time gas was $5.00 a gallon here so not as bad but still expensive. And the modest little boat we have (20', GM inboard/outboard 4.3 V6) uses about 5 gallons per hr, which is considered to be good marine fuel economy. While small boats with diesels are common in Europe (with inboard/outboard propulsion) they are not here at all. I had a friend who had a 28' Wellcraft with twin GM 5.7 V8s running straight shafts (less efficient than the sterndrive I have) and he reported his consumption was 10 gallons per hr x2!
As I said, I don't understand dishonesty from companies of the caliber of VW and Daimler Benz.

·
10,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Surprised. I didn't think Zetsche was involved in the diesel affair. Wonder if he just wants to retire at this point rather than face the rather difficult task of fighting entitled executives for another few years.
Surprising, indeed.

It’s perhaps one of those things where he should have known what Daimler was up to, since he was head of Mercedes...

·
Super Moderator
21,630 Posts
It is also about being able to pass emissions. Diesels have a high NOx output.
The BlueTec allowed us to jump ahead of the competition for a while.
Auf Wiedersehen Herr Doktor Z. mit dem eisernen Schnurrbart.

·
Administrator
35,986 Posts
Surprising, indeed.

It’s perhaps one of those things where he should have known what Daimler was up to, since he was head of Mercedes...
Well, that might be it. He might be taking personal responsibility for that reason. Or maybe he was complicit after all. I'd rather think he was not.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well, that might be it. He might be taking personal responsibility for that reason. Or maybe he was complicit after all. I'd rather think he was not.
There's a lot behind this besides this ongoing diesel issue. The chinese investment, the now-severed Nissan cooperative deal, BEV strategy costs...lots of knives have come out over past dealings despite everything he did for the benefit of the org.

·
Banned
4,087 Posts
It is also about being able to pass emissions. Diesels have a high NOx output.
The BlueTec allowed us to jump ahead of the competition for a while.
Auf Wiedersehen Herr Doktor Z. mit dem eisernen Schnurrbart.
Some modern direct injected petrol engines like some Ford EcoBoost have excess NOx yet they went under the radar. Go figure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts