Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am sending our '95 Concorde off to the great beyond, .....however, the fuel tank is packed full, right to the top, so dropping the tank would not be practical.....its only $50 of gas... but still $50

First I thought I know the filler has anti-siphon baffles like the caravan right....well yes it does as the hose gets rejected, and the "real" way to drain the tank is to use a DRB-III tool and just run the pump....I have no such tool or have access to one.

Second I thought, jack it up and pull the fuel line from in front of the filter near the rear passenger door and just siphon it out......does not want to siphon...why?? Heck if I know. This should work, shouldn't it??

Third idea..... I really do not have a third idea, oh yeah, I thought of pulling the wheel shield, pulling the rubber hose from the filler neck and siphoning there. Haven't tried that yet
Isn't there an easier way??

TIA

Dean

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
The first generation LH cars ('93-'97) had an access panel on the trunk floor under the trunk mat to replace the fuel pump without dropping the tank.
Barring any nearby fire hazards, you may be able to siphon the tank comfortably from here with a hose leading out to an approved gasoline container.
It won't siphon through the filter as it can't draw fuel out through a stopped in-tank fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I know that my Spirit has a line on the fuel pump or rollover valve that's specifically intended for siphoning the tank out. It takes a very long time because the line is so small, but it will get the tank almost completely empty.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Be aware that if you remove the access panel in the trunk and unscrew the fuel pump assembly, it will work-- but the fumes will be INTENSE in the trunk. How about instead of removing the fuel pump, you drill a hole in the top of the plastic tank--!!DON'T USE AN ELECTRIC OR BATTERY POWERED DRILL!!--about the size of your siphon hose to control the fumes? At the scrap yard, they'll likely puncture the tank to drain it completely anyhow.
EDIT: Can the power leads to the fuel pump be accessed and hot wired to a battery?

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
There is a siphon port on virtually all of these tanks - usually on the sending unit. There will be a rubber cap clamped on that you remove. Use a hand siphon.

Alternatively, since the pump has not failed, disconnect the fuel filter on the output side, connect a longer rubber hose into an approved container, and jumper the fuel relay so that it runs. With each full container, pour the gas into another car, jumper the pump relay and pump another container, until empty.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ImperialCrown said:
The first generation LH cars ('93-'97) had an access panel on the trunk floor under the trunk mat to replace the fuel pump without dropping the tank.
Barring any nearby fire hazards, you may be able to siphon the tank comfortably from here with a hose leading out to an approved gasoline container.
It won't siphon through the filter as it can't draw fuel out through a stopped in-tank fuel pump.
Perfect IC, Thanks
Bob Lincoln said:
There is a siphon port on virtually all of these tanks - usually on the sending unit. There will be a rubber cap clamped on that you remove. Use a hand siphon.

Alternatively, since the pump has not failed, disconnect the fuel filter on the output side, connect a longer rubber hose into an approved container, and jumper the fuel relay so that it runs. With each full container, pour the gas into another car, jumper the pump relay and pump another container, until empty.
I have seen the port you mention, but I have never used it. I suppose I could use my in-line fuel pump to assist in speeding it along as well.
peterjon1 said:
Be aware that if you remove the access panel in the trunk and unscrew the fuel pump assembly, it will work-- but the fumes will be INTENSE in the trunk. How about instead of removing the fuel pump, you drill a hole in the top of the plastic tank--!!DON'T USE AN ELECTRIC OR BATTERY POWERED DRILL!!--about the size of your siphon hose to control the fumes? At the scrap yard, they'll likely puncture the tank to drain it completely anyhow.
EDIT: Can the power leads to the fuel pump be accessed and hot wired to a battery?
Thinking about the power-to-the-pump idea.....

·
Super Moderator
21,368 Posts
I have to agree that I don't care for the fire risk of removing the pump and handling the fuel (and associated fumes) either. There may be a rubber capped port on top of the pump specifically for attaching a 5/16" hose and siphoning fuel. sometimes not.
If you power the pump to remove the fuel, do it by jumpering the fuel pump relay terminals up front in the underhood fuse/relay box and not at the pump itself.

Access plate: 2010-04-09_012213_f_pump_1.gif
Top of pump: 2010-04-09_012243_f_pump_2.gif
Tool: 0996b43f80208d10.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts