Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at 1 of these as my first PT. Are there any real issues I should be looking at ? I have had a few neat old cars, but this would be my first PT. Car has around 120k miles on it and is an automatic.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
If the timing belt hasn't been changed, it is due. I've done the job myself, but it is TEDIOUS. Figure a full day to get it done, and be sure to change the water pump, idler and tensioner while you're at it. Also, drive it and listen for front wheel bearing noise. The PTs are susceptible to wheel bearing noise, but they aren't too bad to replace. Fianlly, the lower control arm bushings can go. You would hear creaking or thumping going over bumps or up driveways, etc. I replaced mine with bushings from Energy Suspension and all is fine for over 100,000 miles.

With all of that said, the PT is a great car. My 04 has 267,000 miles on it. Original transmission and engine, and not much work done to either one outside of normal maintenance. The car itself is in great shape.

Hope this helps.

Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went and took a better, harder look at it today. Do these cars have an issue with the clear coat peeling off ? This one sure did. Started it up and sounded like quite a squeal from the turbo and the engine light was on. Not quite as cherry looking at it in the day of light. The search continues.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Clear coat on my 04 is still in great shape, as it is on my wife's and daughter's PTs (07 and 08). Sounds like you made a wise choice skipping this one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts