Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Mopar Fans /abusers --- Have a little Dilemnae ,,

My 84 Reliant 2.2 -may have an seal leaking on the Passenger side inside Transmission output extension ,where the CV axle fits in.

My local Mechanic pointed this out.

I just have to wash /degrease this area to find out ALL leaks.

Trouble is WHAT type of transmission does this Car have??? all I know its a 3 speeed auotmatic .

I do have the build sheet buried away somewhere.

regards -stu

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
The 3 speed automatic was called the A413, though some may use the later 31TH name for it as well though that naming convention came a few years later than your car.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
valiant67 said:
The 3 speed automatic was called the A413, though some may use the later 31TH name for it as well though that naming convention came a few years later than your car.
I have a HARD time finding the Proper Name for this Part!!!!! When I go to Autozone or Advanced -I tend to get lost in the choices there are for this seal /gasket. Is it properly called " Transmission extension Housing Output shaft ??? -BTW ---- my Build sheet DOES indicate it is a A413 Transmission.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
The official name for this seal is the output shaft seal. It is part number 4295904 which is superseded by 4412522-AB. Both part numbers should work for cross refrencing. It is also National oil seal part number 3459.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Stay away from AutoZone. The parts are subpar quality, and you'll probably end up doing it again well before you should have had to. I would go to NAPA for something like this.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
B10alia said:
Stay away from AutoZone. The parts are subpar quality, and you'll probably end up doing it again well before you should have had to. I would go to NAPA for something like this.
OK - I did some calling /visiting Auto part stores. -Wound up using the Timken d3459 # At NAPA - and they sold me an SKF Seal ~ fairly cOMMON bRAND. EVEN THOUGH MADE IN mEXICO (what isn,t???).

To get that AXLE off -does One Have to remove the Circlip inside the Differential case???? I need some decent Black or Copper RTV for the Gasket.

regards -stui

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is no circlip on that 1984 automatic transmission axle half-shaft. It should just slide out of the extension housing (along with a little tranny oil, so be prepared with a catch bucket). The passenger side is the easier of the 2 sides to replace the CV axle seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts