Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys How is everyone. 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew My door has been stuck closed for a month at least.
If I push the button overhead to open the door, you can hear that it is actually doing what it is supposed to do. But, the manual lock on the actual door is stuck in mid travel and will not lock or unlock and the door will not open and not even if I kick it from the inside or pull on it from the outside. And since I cannot get to the lock mechanism I am stuck trying to figure out what to do.
Anyone have any ideas Please

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts
The interior door trim panel can be removed with the door closed. It is more awkward, but can be done.
You will have to get at the latch/lock mechanism inside the door. By disconnecting the cables, you may be able to see what is stuck:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QR6vTD2W2E

Reactions: Paul J. Reed

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The interior door trim panel can be removed with the door closed. It is more awkward, but can be done.
You will have to get at the latch/lock mechanism inside the door. By disconnecting the cables, you may be able to see what is stuck:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QR6vTD2W2E
Thank you for responding and for the video. I need to see one that shows how to get into the door while remaining closed from the inside.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
The actuator has failed and jammed internally. The manual lock goes through the actuator so if the actuator fails it fails too.

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts
There are Youtube videos on actuator repair. I haven't reviewed them.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
You can remove the interior door card from the inside with the door closed. Once off, you can disconnect the linkeage from the actuator. The actuator is held on with one screw.

·
Super Moderator
37,708 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Guys How is everyone. 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan Crew My door has been stuck closed for a month at least.
If I push the button overhead to open the door, you can hear that it is actually doing what it is supposed to do. But, the manual lock on the actual door is stuck in mid travel and will not lock or unlock and the door will not open and not even if I kick it from the inside or pull on it from the outside. And since I cannot get to the lock mechanism I am stuck trying to figure out what to do.
Anyone have any ideas Please
TaxiGirl I have the same van and the same problem. How did you fix it?

·
Registered
864 Posts
This problem goes across manufacturers as I had it once with my 2004 Monte Carlo. I did not quite get it opened when it failed. Nothing would work from the inside but I was saved when my friend grabbed the latch from the outside and opened the door.

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same symptoms as Taxigirl, my door is jammed lock, I don't want to fix or replace the actuator, I just want my door to be unlocked. Will there be any way to release the latch assembly without taking the whole door apart?

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
No, the lock linkeage goes through the actuator so if the actutor fails you cannot manually lock or unlock the door. Disassembly is required.

Reactions: atorresg19371944

·
Registered
2 Posts
I ended up going to my local body shop, they charged me $200 to disassemble the whole door and unlock the sliding door that was stock. They offered me the option of replacing the door actuator which i declined. They ended up just disconnecting the door actuator and I can only lock and unlock manually from the inside (Sliding door is working perfectly like that) I decided that's what I wanted being that the chances of the other sliding door failing are high cause my dodge grand caravan 2012 sxt has over 200k miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there atorresg19371944 I was looking at finding the same solution you did but was going to be doing the job myself. My door actuator is stuck in the lock position as well. I would be fine if it worked manually. Did your mechanic mention how he managed to make this happen?

·
Yes, This MK Goes Off-Road
1,318 Posts
I had this happen to ours a few months ago. I did the repair myself but it wasn't easy. Dealer wanted almost $1000 for parts and labor to replace it. Actuator cost about $200-$300 if I recall correctly, took me a day to disassemble and reassembled everything (after taking half a day to disassemble and disconnect stuff to unlock the door in the first place). Hard part is dealing with the window. I recommend taping or using a wedge to prevent the window from falling since you have to disconnect the window motor when you remove the door panel. If the passenger side fails at least I know how to fix it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts