Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need to change oil pan gasket on my '05 Grand Caravan. didnt think it would be too big of a deal, but looked in the repair manual (hayes) and it says i have to take the starter off? crawled under the van and see no reason at all to do that. the starter is above the oil pan? cant see why it would need to come off. am I missing something??? oh, its got the 3.3 in it.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
If you can get the pan off without removing it, then do it.

·
KOG
6,994 Posts
I think the torque converter dust shield has to come off, but it's been years since I pulled A 3.3 pan and I don't remember exactly.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
I have found Haynes and some other aftermarket service manuals to be frustratingly misleading and sometimes just plain wrong. They might be OK for some generic service information, but don't believe everything you read.
If you are going to be doing higher levels of service to your minivan, I would strongly suggest a factory manual or Alldata online. Some larger public libraries may have them.
If you have to buy one, look at it as a tool purchase. It may pay for itself one day.
https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/ItemDetail.aspx?itemID=1435
Buy a quality steel-backed rubber gasket. The torque converter cover plate does have to come off.
http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/archive/index.php/t-20424.html?s=272b6dfa4af44599c4302846237f0529

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
I looked at a factory service manual for a 2000 mini-van with 3.3L V6 engine. It mentions removing a bending brace between the engine and transaxle. A 2005 model may or may not have this metal piece. Remove the dust shield / inspection plate to the torque converter. This allows access to the oil pan bolts near the torque converter. Drain the oil and then remove the oil pan bolts. The starter is not referenced in the procedure. Pretty straightforward.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah mine has the brace and it will probably will have to come off as well as the dust cover on torque converter...thanks for the replies!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts