Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed the new axles and suport plate for the drum brakes. As I started to put the drakes back together, the strut would not fit. I ground off a 1/4" and it fit.
That probable was not a good idea, but to late.
After that everything went smooth, until the drum.
The drum slid on, but it went back to far against the support plate and would not let the tire spin.
Putting 1/8" thick washer over the lug nut bolt solved the problem.
I got the axles from Dr Diff. Not able to contact him until August 19.
Are there different length axles for an a-body housing? Ones that are only a 1/4" longer?

I'm not sure about the washers, is there a plate that can slide over the 4.5 bolt pattern and keep the drum from hitting the plate.
Or do I have to get new axles that are longer?

Last question if theses are the wrong axles can I keep them and install disk brakes to make this problem go way?
Thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dana44
The strut according to the book I have is the horizontal piece that slips into the brake shoes. It has the anti raddle spring attached to it.
As far as I know everything is installed correctly.
It just seams that the the part of the axle from the housing out to the part that the drum sit up against is around 3/8" to short.
Do you think that the washers will work or should I have a spacer piece made to slide over the lug bolts and hold the drum bake so it does not hit the plate?
Thanks again

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told that I would be able to reuse the drum brake set up from the old 7 1/4 rear end. The existing and new pads are 2 1/2" wides.
If the axles are designed for 1 .75 pads , that would explain my problem. The drum and pads are to large. So the drum is hitting the backing plate before it bottoms out on the axle.
So would you guys get the smaller pads and drum or pay the money and go with a disc brake conversion?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dana44
I went back and looked at the way I installed the backing plate. I had pictures of drums when they were installed on the 7 1/4 rear.
I bolted the axle directly onto the housing. So the thickness of the plate that holds on the axle was what was making the drum hit the backing plate. The axle plate pushed the backing plate out a 1/4". Once I switched the two plates around everything fit and works properly.
I snapped off a bleeder screw, but that's a story for another day.
Thanks again for all the help.
Never having done anything like this is quite a challenge. Even when I think I'm doing the corrected method, I'm not, but I am having a good time learning.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.