Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the passenger van version of the Ducato/ProMaster will be sold in the North American market?

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Truck451 said:
Does anyone know if the passenger van version of the Ducato/ProMaster will be sold in the North American market?
I'm curious, too. I'm guessing they'll be planning for it ( shuttle buses and whatnot ), but will be waiting to measure up-take from other industries first.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
I believe that Ram Commercial Trucks will be handling the ProMaster sales when it arrives at select dealers.
http://www.chryslercommercialvehicles.com/en/
There will be a ProMaster trained technician at these dealers. These dealers will have the special tools and service information/support to service ProMaster.
It may be only certified for carrying cargo at first as carrying passengers adds many more safety requirements.
We had Sprinter buses with windows, but sold very few of them. Most were van and chassis-cab models. I believe that these will be successful vehicles and sorely needed for Ram truck dealers.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
Ah. I do see a Window Van listed in the shaded Overview box.
I also notice that they state that it is a 'Pre-production' model shown. Maybe they have done some styling tweaks to the front fascia, although it probably won't be a deal killer if they don't.
Gasoline Pentastar/6-speed auto is standard.
I don't see the European side fender turn signal lights like the Sprinter had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I see they are pricing the diesel for about $4000.00 more. What are the advantages and what do you get for $4k? Is it worth the money. Can someone explain the transmission that will come with the diesel. They describe it as manual with auto shifting ?? Does it use a foot clutch? I don't think Ram has done a very good job of explaining this or at least I didn't catch it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
vanman51 said:
I see they are pricing the diesel for about $4000.00 more. What are the advantages and what do you get for $4k? Is it worth the money. Can someone explain the transmission that will come with the diesel. I don't think Ram has done a very good job of explain this.
From what I understand, it's an AMT Automated Manual Transmision. I think the name that Fiat gives it is Dualogic. It's kinda like a single clutch DDCT...

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
I guess that the best powertrain choice would depend on what you used the vehicle for. Both engines would be fine for general use, but the turbodiesel might be more satisfactory to live with in the long term and the option could eventually pay for itself.
I am basing this opinion on the 2nd gen Sprinter (VB) which offered a gasoline 3.5L V6 as an alternative to the 3.0L turbodiesel engine. Customers were reporting ~14 mpg on gasoline which seemed awfully thirsty after hearing from Sprinter turbodiesel motorhome owners getting 25 mpg. Again, probably different types of driving situations. The Sprinter gasoline engine option was eventually dropped.
The Pentastar might always be the standard engine and the turbodiesel may be the preferred engine. We'll see.
I was disappointed in Sprinter quality and I thought that being a Mercedes-Benz would mean high quality, but maybe their trucks aren't so well-built. Structurally and powertrain-wise they were solid, but there were lots of stupid little expensive things that always broke and electrical problems abounded. Good thing that they came with a 100K mile warranty. I hope that the Fiat does better. This Cargo/Chassis cab/passenger van segment is sorely missed by Ram trucks. The Caravan C/V is OK, but not really a substitute as a work truck.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
Yes they were and this may have caused many problems if they were put back together sloppily. I believe that this contributed to a lot of the wiring harness cut/pinched/open issues on a new Sprinter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Truck451 said:
It's my understanding that Chrysler will build a window van and contract to an upfitter to construct a passenger van.

·
Administrator
35,248 Posts
I understood Sprinter was designed mainly by Freightliner, the “cheep at first but expensive later” truck maker owned by Daimler.

I am hoping janeb is right, because ProMaster is a fine vehicle for driving, much nicer than Sprinter.

I would opt for the diesel, period. The fuel economy is far, far better and the low end torque is good to have when loaded. That said, the gas engine in the ProMaster is far livelier than the Sprinter’s.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
On the Ram web site they show a window van but only on the 136 wheel base ( medium), It only show front seats in it, no back seats. Iwish was offered in the short wheel base.
Question: Can't you just go the junk yard and get a back bench seat from a 90's van and bolt it in?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
They don't fly through the window on the Chevy Exprerss of the Ford vans. All the bench seats have seat belts built into them.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
How about a trick floor with two rows of rails on each side, where seats roll & snap in (or out)?

There's one at the Chicago Auto Show. Pictures to come soon.

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I bolted a VW bench seat from a VW van in my 68 A van with giant U bolts. That seat wasn't going anywhere.
But lets get serious, I know a $30,000 van should have a back seat from the factory.
But..........
Both Ford and Chevy have "pods" in the floor where the bench seats click into. I'm sure a good auto techicion can place those in a Promaster in a safe secure fashion that would be just as strong as chevy or ford.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts