Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Details are still forthcoming, but if your agency is looking for a genuine high-performance Pursuit-Rated SUV, the Durango Pursuit is now an option.

·
Registered
3 Posts
will be interesting to see these on the streets - I know a lot of agencies went with the charger pursuit in 2017. Interesting that Dodge would release a new concept only a year later. Agencies must be looking for more SUVs or?

·
Premium Member
2017 Charger Pursuit AWD
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will be interesting to see these on the streets - I know a lot of agencies went with the charger pursuit in 2017. Interesting that Dodge would release a new concept only a year later. Agencies must be looking for more SUVs or?
The Charger squad was available from day 1, in 2006. The Durango SSV appeared in 2012, but production capacity was limited to the extent that a Pursuit model was not available until demand for it actually surpassed that of retail models.

The most important component in a fleet is (or should be) cost. If an agency can maintain their vehicles at a lower cost through one vendor, they try to do that whenever possible.

With Ford dumping their Exploder into the police market, many agencies took adavantage of that, and the result was Ford getting 60% of the police purchases. This held until FCA Fleet released the AWD Pursuit in mid-2014, at an average bid price of $3,000 less than the Exploder. By 2016, the AWD Charger Pursuit matched the Exploder in sales, and agencies started to make a lot of noise about needing a Durango Pursuit (most departments are now running a 50/50 mix of the Charger and one of the SUV's or pickups). When the SRT gang of lunatics got ahold of the Durango and waved their magical wands over it, it was a good sign that the Durango Pursuit was soon to follow, and it did (SRT does the engineering for the squads).

This mid-year release is probably a test of the market. If enough agencies actually accept bids for the Durango Pursuit, I think they'll continue the program.

As for the Charger, to coin a phrase, it ain't going anywhere. It's the only remaining Pursuit-Rated sedan in North America, and with the 300 getting the nod down under (with the 392 V8), the sky's the limit.

An AWD 392 Charger Pursuit wouldn't be the end of the world, just my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts