Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of trying to replace the oil pan gasket on my 1973 Plymouth Duster with the 225 six. I have the factory manual and am doing this in my garage. I need to raise the engine 1 to 2 inches (according to the manual) for the pan to clear the crank. My problem has anyone done this procedure and raised the engine from the bottom. If so how?? The manual says NOT to raise the engine by the crankshaft pulley or vibration damper. I see no way to raise the engine unless a frame is used from above and a chain or such to attach to the engine. Unfortunately I have no such item. Any ideas or experience would be very helpful. Thanks :excited:

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
You can jack from the pan if you spread the load out then block under the mounts so it can not drop back down and then pull the pan.

·
Premium Member
20,080 Posts
Place a 2X4 or 2X6 under the oil pan and jack it up with a floor jack. Take it up about an inch, then remove the two motor mount bolts, then raise the engine several more inches so the mounts are several inches above the mounting locations. If you can stick a 2X4 between the mounts the pan will clear the crank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts