Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to change the steering rack in a 1990 Dodge Dynasty. I am looking for details about disconnecting the steering column.

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
I found it far easier to just drop the rack out (the end will slide off the steering column) than to mess with the roll pin in the car. Then once it was out, I punched out the roll pin and put it on the new rack and installed it that way. Yeah, it takes a helper inside the car to make it work but it was far easier for me that way.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
A service manual will help with both procedures and pictures. Public library or online?
Support the vehicle safely with jackstands on a hard level surface and chock the rear wheels.
Dropping the crossmember allows more room for access to the bolts and P/S line nuts.
The steering wheel should be locked in a straight-ahead position during the service and not allowed to rotate. This will center the airbag clockspring and prevent the clockspring from over-winding and tearing in one direction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a car hoist and can stand under the car, I looked it over a couple of times. I have a diagram of the column and rack. I just was wondering if it will come out the way the previous poster said "just drop the rack out (the end will slide off the steering column)"

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
I usually loosen the front crossmember bolts and remove the rear ones. That allows the rack to drop low enough to remove with little trouble without having to support the crossmember or line it back up to install bolts. But that's for minivans and I didn't ever have to replace the rack on the Dynasty we had. I have replaced racks on K cars using the same procedure and those are virtually identical to the Dynasty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well we got everything loose except the roll pin on the column. It won't budge. Any suggestions? My son hamnered on it for a long time, it hasn't moved.

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
You are using a roll pin punch?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see what valiant67 and KOG were saying now, after loosening the cross member last night, this morning the column practically fell out then we could work on getting it apart on the bench. The new one is in now but waiting for a low pressure line which broke getting it out. It will be here Monday. Thanks for your helpful replies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got in on July 16th and it's been working great. Only bad thing is returning a core for a part bought online. It's $30.98 to ship it UPS and I'd get $30 for the core. It was only $94 anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts