Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would be easier to swap into a 1993 Dodge Spirit, a 2.4 4A from a PT Cruiser or a 3.3 4A from a Dodge Caravan? I need both the performance and the economy, but less pain. Suggestions would be welcome.

·
Super Moderator
36,926 Posts
Neither would be particularly easy. The 3.3 will require the associated engine/transmission wiring from a car (van is different for engine controls) but at least you could match the vintage of the car so it all communicates. Likewise the 2.4 will present even more electronic issues.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Which would be easier to swap into a 1993 Dodge Spirit, a 2.4 4A from a PT Cruiser or a 3.3 4A from a Dodge Caravan? I need both the performance and the economy, but less pain. Suggestions would be welcome.
Neither would be particularly easy. The 3.3 will require the associated engine/transmission wiring from a car (van is different for engine controls) but at least you could match the vintage of the car so it all communicates. Likewise the 2.4 will present even more electronic issues.
As valiant67 stated.

I believe you can swap a 3.3L and matching tranny from a similar year Caravan since the 3.0L V6 was a factory option in the Acclaim/Spirit. Though you might have to use a Dynasty 3.3L or similar engine side motor mount setup. I suspect engine clearance should be OK.

Reactions: awyseguy

·
Registered
570 Posts
I agree with Valiant67 and Bearhawke.. I feel the 3.3L would be the "easier" of the 2 choices.. The Dynasty was the first common car I thought of that may provide many of the part numbers to make it both mount up, and possibly be a more compatible harness or computer if needed later.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
What is your goal in doing so? You won't get better economy than the original engine. Your best bet is to keep the engine that's in there and convert to a 5-speed manual.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I have seen videos on Youtube of 2.4L engines in K-cars, but I do not know how difficult the installation was.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
A Daytona owner near me put a 2.4L in. He said that only one engine mount had to be fabricated or relocated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts