Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding the engine for my daughters 84 turbo daytona. I am looking for a new EGR tube that goes between the EGR valve and the turbo outlet. Does anyone have any idea where i might find this new or at least the fittings so I can make a new one. Thanks for any info and help, Tony

·
Registered
158 Posts
I am in Victoria Canada I sure I have on in the back I remember they are a challenge to take off if you can not find one locally pm me and I will try to dig one out. don't quote me on this but I think the whole egr system can be by passed. I don't know if you have emission testing there or not. which could be effected.

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
Bypassing the EGR may cause pinging, due to loss of the slight cooling effect of the recirculated gases, and dilution of the charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i am going thru the same. needing or to delete the tube. please advise on if pinging or any other issues are going to happen. Has anyone done the delete and had issues?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am a little off topic, yet still within bounds I think. As for EGR, as my profile picture shows, I have an 85 Laser which I have installed my own combination of stock Chrysler parts. It has a 2.2L 'Common Block' with a 2.5L crank and pistons meant for a 'non-turbo' 2.5L engine. I run the 2.2L two piece (2) intake manifold and use the Mitsubishi turbo. The whole thing is intercooled using hardware from the Chrysler TC by Maserati cars. Power is pushed through a Getrag 5 speed manual transaxle also from the TCs. IT DOES NOT HAVE EGR. Boost can be controlled either by the original means or manually which is the way I keep it generally. This setup is especially strong on torque right off the line. Boost is manually held at 3-5 lb. It really doesn't need more for my type of driving. This is NOT a race car and is used as a daily driver delivering up to 34 MPG on a combination freeway / highway / city run of 313 miles from my home in AZ to my business in Ventura, CA. As to the question of pinging, I have never heard a single 'ping' and have been driving this car as described for many years and many tens of thousand miles.

·
Super Moderator
31,978 Posts
And it's totally unrepresentative of the cars that the other posters have. I stand by my original comments.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts