Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
GM started the fight with the 1000hp/1000tq Hummer, Ford will fire back with something better and Dodge will nuke them, and that same stuff will be used in EV charger/challenger SRT products. My prediction.
Nuke them how, or should I say when? FCA is the furthest behind and has a ton of catching up to do

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nuke them how, or should I say when? FCA is the furthest behind and has a ton of catching up to do
Why waste billions on R&D like GM and Ford when most of the stuff will end up coming from suppliers anyway. FCA has played this right however it would be better if they bought into some of the suppliers so they get a cut whenever some other car companies uses the stuff.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Why waste billions on R&D like GM and Ford when most of the stuff will end up coming from suppliers anyway. FCA has played this right however it would be better if they bought into some of the suppliers so they get a cut whenever some other car companies uses the stuff.
All because you get it from suppliers doesn't mean it's gonna be top notch, you should know this since fca is one of the worse companies in treating suppliers and why we get such hit or miss quality

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
All because you get it from suppliers doesn't mean it's gonna be top notch, you should know this since fca is one of the worse companies in treating suppliers and why we get such hit or miss quality
Add this to Stellantis's list of things to FIX.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Batteries and electric motors? They'll be more reliable as there will be less moving parts. Besides the engines and body structure/panels in the current cars, what do they even make themselves?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Or...better yet...buy into one or more of the reputable EV start-ups out there who have legitimate EV and / or battery technology which could benefit STELL/\NTIS.

In other words...Don't %^&$ it up the way GM did with Nikola Motors!:p:D

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Philippe Houchois

Right if I maybe squeeze the last one, I think on the Q2 call I asked you a question about electric pickups and I got a bit of a cryptic answer. I'm just wondering if you have more to share about how you see Ram, the electrified version of Ram now, since we last spoke, we had the presentation of the Hummer, as well as the Lordstown and so has your - are you ready to share a bit more about how you see around electric?

Mike Manley

Pardon me, my answer to be cryptic apologies. I do see that there will be electrified ramping up in the market place and I would ask you just to stay tuned for a little while and we'll tell you exactly when that will be.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/43...-on-q3-2020-results-earnings-call?part=single

·
Move along, nothing to see here
2,386 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, an EV pickup will be HOT for fleets looking to reduce their fuel bills. A lot of pickups are used on commercial and industrial fleets where range is not the primary concern. Lots of moving around on or between worksites all day. For current pickups this means a whole lot of idling. I worked in pickups all day every day for years and was all over town and I don't think I exceeded 120 KM in a day. There was a LOT of wasted fuel as the truck sat idling (urban traffic, stopping at a job site for 10-20 minutes and then moving on to the next site, etc). Those trucks were getting the absolute worst MPG you can out of them due to all that idle time. So for example, having municipal public works and utility fleets moved from gas to full EV would represent both massive emissions reductions and cost savings on fuel. All you need are the chargers back at the yard - plug the truck in when you're finished your shift.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Batteries and electric motors? They'll be more reliable as there will be less moving parts. Besides the engines and body structure/panels in the current cars, what do they even make themselves?
Elenctronics gremlins are often more difficult to resolve than mechanical. Until really good diagnostics are built in, I wouldn't bet on better reliability just yet.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again, an EV pickup will be HOT for fleets looking to reduce their fuel bills. A lot of pickups are used on commercial and industrial fleets where range is not the primary concern. Lots of moving around on or between worksites all day. For current pickups this means a whole lot of idling. I worked in pickups all day every day for years and was all over town and I don't think I exceeded 120 KM in a day. There was a LOT of wasted fuel as the truck sat idling (urban traffic, stopping at a job site for 10-20 minutes and then moving on to the next site, etc). Those trucks were getting the absolute worst MPG you can out of them due to all that idle time. So for example, having municipal public works and utility fleets moved from gas to full EV would represent both massive emissions reductions and cost savings on fuel. All you need are the chargers back at the yard - plug the truck in when you're finished your shift.
It will be interesting to see how far these will go if they are used in northern climates where you are using heaters all the time for daily driving routines along with say the rear window elements . If you are sitting in traffic then you will be sitting there still running the heaters to keep the vehicle warm so how does this affect there mileage between fills . I imagine all the mileage specs on EV's are without all these things turned on . Also for use in northern climates they certainly going to have to worry about corrosion the same as ICE vehicles and whether they can stand up to the solid salt bath they get in the winter .

·
Registered
196 Posts
Elenctronics gremlins are often more difficult to resolve than mechanical. Until really good diagnostics are built in, I wouldn't bet on better reliability just yet.
That is true and I am also worried about the planned obsolescence with them too. Take JLR, Audi, Merc and BMW for example. Their cars falling apart and charging an arm and a leg for repairs is a huge part of their business model, and you know they aren't going to just give that up. A large part of their R&D is probably making sure they fail!

·
Registered
196 Posts
It will be interesting to see how far these will go if they are used in northern climates where you are using heaters all the time for daily driving routines along with say the rear window elements . If you are sitting in traffic then you will be sitting there still running the heaters to keep the vehicle warm so how does this affect there mileage between fills . I imagine all the mileage specs on EV's are without all these things turned on . Also for use in northern climates they certainly going to have to worry about corrosion the same as ICE vehicles and whether they can stand up to the solid salt bath they get in the winter .
They also have heaters for the batteries too that uses up a lot of juice. I was given an early smart electric car years ago for the weekend once just to put miles on (dead of winter). It had a supposed 100 mile range but by the next day (and maybe 25 miles) it only had enough battery to take it back on Monday morning. That was the last time I drove one of those, every time you turned it on the gauge dropped 25%.

·
Administrator
35,238 Posts
People have tested these questions, so you don't have to wonder... I don't think heat and rear are a real issue. However, a/c certainly is, and so is cold weather. This is why I still think hybrids are the answer for 98% of vehicles. The other 2% are commercial delivery and sports cars.

That is true and I am also worried about the planned obsolescence with them too. Take JLR, Audi, Merc and BMW for example. Their cars falling apart and charging an arm and a leg for repairs is a huge part of their business model, and you know they aren't going to just give that up. A large part of their R&D is probably making sure they fail!
Umm... FCA can easily be included in that group... though they are a lot cheaper for repairs and I highly doubt they do it deliberately, parts availability is already an issue.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts