Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There aren't any down here and the Dodge Parts counter man goes "Huh?" when I ask for one. 1995 Dodge Spirit. Passenger side. none of the Mexican vehicles had power windows. Parts stores come up with zero.

I don't want to tear into this unless i have a rational chance of success. The door switch is completely inoperative, the master control on the driver's door is 100% functional. Do these things break inside? The contacts? Or melt? Or is it just a question of burned oxidized contacts? With my luck the stupid things are spotwelded and injection molded :(

·
KOG
7,002 Posts
One common failure it that one pin is pressed trough one of the copper strips on the bottom of the switch and can fail to make electrical contact. Soldering the two together can heal some of the switches. Another failure mode relates to rain or other moisture entering the top of the switch if the door is open or the window is down in a rainstorm. That one can be trouble. It is possible to completely disassemble those switches as they are all clipped together plastic. Fixing them is variable though. You can try repairs and if that doesn't work, order them from the U.S.

·
Super Moderator
21,369 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. I have cleaned switch contacts with good results. The plastic switch housing should come apart. Watch for spring-loaded actuating pegs and contact point rockers that may fall out when the halves are separated.
The contact rockers commonly get pitted and oxidized. They can be burnished and a drop of Deoxit applied. Note any locating tabs for correct orientation.
These are generally serviceable as long as there is no broken or melted plastic. At least opening them for investigation and assessment should be the first thing to try.
Remember that even when at rest, the contacts in the p/w switch on the opposite door must be closed (N/C) in order for current from the switch that you are working to pass current through to that window motor. It is a series circuit between the master and passenger window switches.
window_switch_cont_2.jpg
lh006002.gif

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You might want to get a hold of David Eidell, one of our other members from south of the border (although I guess from your perspective, we're all members from north of the border...). I know he has trouble getting parts for his Spirit and he might be able to help you with parts sources.
If you can't find anything and can't fix the switch by Monday, I can try to pull one off of a '93 Lebaron that I think is probably still in the junkyard up by me.
Just out of curiosity, is this a Mexican or US spec Spirit?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about me sitting here with a red face (embarrassed big-time) because I got distracted when I posted this and forgot to make clear that DAVID EIDELL and MEXICOWANDERER and one and the same. Still the "Welcome To Allpar" felt good all over again. This is one GREAT community and I feel privileged to be a member. Thank you all!

I am going to fix that durned switch if it has not melted! I cried at the price of DeOxit D100 when I bought it (the large size with the needle applicator) but now I am soooo glad! Also loaded up on soldering equipment, solder, flux a "Third Hand (the moveable clips holder thingee)" and the rest of the unobtainable repair stuff before I headed back down a year or two ago.

Even at my advanced age I remain a MoPar fan. I'll never forget "Old Bullet Head" a shaved bald California Highway Patrol officer pulling into a Standard Station in his sparkling brand new Dodge Polaris, and raising the hood (that brand new car engine smell). Inside was a Hemi dual AFB cross ram engine. By chance a local hot rodder screamed by in his '55 Chevy and Bullet Head slammed down the hood, jumped in the car, started the engine and smoked the rear tires for a long - long way. I heard the moan from both Carter AFB's for more than a quarter-mile. How could a person not become a MoPar fan after seeing that?

Jumping back to reality one of my wishes is to find a translated OEM factory repair manual in Español. The hardest part about getting old is knowing how to do stuff, having lots of experience and an inability to function physically. A talented mature mechanic, Celso, is going to do the water pump, timing belt and tensioner maintenance turnaround but he has no experience with the 3.0 V6 engine. I ordered the Gates full kit, plus valve cover gaskets, all brand new gates hoses (every last inch of them), new all-stainless steel hose clamps, a CV boot, Variable rate rear springs, shocks and struts. I also ordered a gallon can of KROIL for him. He simply could not believe how good a penetrant that stuff is. I don't think I have enough time left before the stuff gets picked up to order a switch. I sort of figured it is a dealer item and most dealers and reluctant to send stuff UPS. If I traitored out and switched to a Ford or a Datsun, Oops I mean Nissan, I wouldn't face these "issues". Fat chance of that happening...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts