Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the brand of electrical connectors used in the early '90's Shadow?

I think some might be early Delphi, but not sure. Some may be Amp and/or Deutch?

I'd like to completely rebuild the wire harnesses in my '93 Shadow, without splicing in aftermarket "pigtails". So I am researching the brands so I can find and purchase the actual connector housings and contacts.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
32,052 Posts
I know that Chrysler has used AMP (which is now TE Connectivity) and Molex a lot in the past. Some of those connectors may only be available to the auto industry directly.

·
Super Moderator
21,401 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. I have used the DC Tools website in the past, but they only go back to 1997 now:
Mopar Connection Repair Kit (at http://connectors.dcctools.com/home.htm#year_platform )
If you know the connector Mopar part #, it may be able to try a search for it that way.

Shadows and Sundances (AP-body) may have shared a lot of the same parts from 1988-1994. The same harness hardware would probably be found on many other K-related Chrysler FWD vehicles in this era.

Using the 1990 Mopar parts catalog, the terminal and connector section begins in figure 8-8700 here:
http://oskin.ru/pub/chrysler-dodge/manuals/Chrysler_Service_Parts_Catalog/CD2/82-96PassCar/90p.PDF
By Googling the Mopar part #, you might find resources. Many are obsolete and discontinued, but NOS and bulk parts buyers may still offer them for sale.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I learned a little more, by accident more than anything: several of the engine connectors are Delphi/Packard series 150.2. The ".2" is the key, here. I think I discovered this by searching on the web for "pull to seat" connector pins, and 'whalla'! Finally, after hours of searching over the course of months. That one search was the ticket.

As best as I can tell, this covers the smaller sensor connectors (ECT sensor, IAC motor, etc.), possibly others.

I still haven't identified the original series for the larger bodied connectors, like the TPS, the oxygen sensor, but luckily pins for those are available as "Dodge" terminals from Dorman ("Connectite" brand). Or the harness connectors behind the battery, or the PCM connector. I'll keep researching... I'd like to re-pin every connector under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
32,052 Posts
You need to be careful about the metallurgy of the electrical contacts. Never mate gold-plated with tin-plated. Never use tin-plated for low-level sensor signals - always gold. Be sure if you replace these that you use exactly what the factory did.
I don't see any particular gain in this effort.

·
Registered
733 Posts
i am in the process of doing the exact same thing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You need to be careful about the metallurgy of the electrical contacts. Never mate gold-plated with tin-plated. Never use tin-plated for low-level sensor signals - always gold. Be sure if you replace these that you use exactly what the factory did.
I don't see any particular gain in this effort.
Mr. Lincoln - great point! Thank you for making it!

Yes, I do pay attention to the metallurgy and I am refreshed that others understand that as well.

I've learned the hard way in the past about dissimilar metal issues, but didn't really understand it until I got into the oil industry. Now after 20 years as an electrical engineer in the oil patch, I can tell you that putting different metals together can be a very, very bad thing, especially for electrical contacts! The result can increase contact resistance, the metals can either corrode or "weld" themselves together, and even act like a battery and create unintended signals, etc. All this especially if you are in a corrosive environment like a lot of rigs are.

Thanks again for the point!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have been slowly trying to sort through Chrysler's horrid wiring information. Everytime I find a connector that I can identify with a PN I am documenting it. One of the frustrating things is one year the connector doesn't even show up in the catalog, others it does, and from one year and even body within the year to another, the same part isn't cataloged or shows as "order assembly". Why Chrysler can't do like Ford and GM or maybe even Europeans I do not understand. I can order most any type of pigtail for a Ford through Motorcraft and GM from many sources, Chrysler, yeah, right!

Europeans use DIN as a standard, and the DIN numbers are international, German, French, Italian, Swedish, all use the same number system on common parts. Chrysler can't even use the same circuit numbers on different bodies in the same model year! Ford or GM, a given circuit and usually color will stay the same forever and they are strictly numbers, no letters.

Back to the connectors, I do have a few aftermarket numbers and sources for some male/female components and will share them if anyone is interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts