Allpar Forums banner

Electrical Issues

587 Views 9 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  EdD
Recently my pt has started flashing the noFUSE warning on the odometer, leading me to believe that the IOD fuse was blown. However upon inspection the 20amp IOD fuse was in perfect condition. The car has also been blowing the interior lighting fuse, #13 left and right despite the dome lights not working. To top it off as I was driving home last night the radio cut out and my speakers popped, followed by a faint burning smell. How should I go about diagnosing what's wrong and is it something I could do at home? I have some electrical experience, soldering etc. Thx in advance
1 - 2 of 10 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Locate the burnt wires or component. Probably inside the car & probably in the dash and/or steering column.
Do you ever use the tilt-column? I have seen wires break in this area. Pull the instrument cluster bezel, cluster & steering column shrouds to inspect the harnesses & ignition switch/multifunction switches for heat damage & broken/bare wires (the steering wheel can stay on).
See if moving the steering column up or down affects the radio power?
Watch harnesses that might be close to a sharp edge, indicated by the arrow.
Make sure the wiring isn't rubbing against the brake/clutch pedal arms.
If you still don't see any wiring damage, check the ignition switch?
Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive air manifold Vehicle
See less See more
1 - 2 of 10 Posts