Allpar Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago, I had a stick get up underneath my Ram and pulled/broke the wiring that controlled the 4x4 selection for the transfer case. The case is stuck in 2WD which is fine for 80% of my driving needs. Finesse and skinny pedal can overcome 10% of the remaining conditions but I'm out of luck for the rest (this is an assigned work truck used for work activities). The first time I brought it into the dealer, they saw the damaged wiring and ordered the part. THREE WEEKS LATER, the part was installed but the computer threw a code saying there was still wiring damage upstream. Now the entire case needs to be removed to install another section of wiring to hopefully repair the damage. We'll see how long it takes to get this next part.

My personal rant is that this would not have happened if Ram still had a manual lever instead of the electronic dial for the transfer case. Doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy for any potential additional wiring underneath the truck like for the 2013+ transmission. I'm also not too pleased on how long it takes to get parts for my truck. A bad shock that was replaced under warranty took a few weeks to get. Two weeks for one shock?!? The parts manager said they have not had good luck getting parts because of delays from vendors. Not sure if he's blowing smoke or not.

I have the skid plate package but it seems to scoop up more mud than offer any additional protection. I need 4WD when out on logging roads/landings or out in the woodyard. This summers contant wet weather has made everything a mud hole. I can attest to the strength of the air dam because I've graded the center of many roads with the darn thing.

OK rant over. Any others have problems with the transfer case wiring or excessive time to get parts? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
So far my wife's 2012 Chrysler 200 has had a fuel sending unit replaced under warranty, and a rear bumper chrome strip and plastic panel that were hit in a minor accident. Each time, the dealer came through with these parts within 2 days. It may depend on the type of part, and how many they stock based on how many they expect to sell. Wiring harnesses are rarely replaced, so I can see them having a longer lead time for those.

My 92 Dakota has a 4WD lever, and I'm keeping that truck as long as I can.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,683 Posts
What year is the Ram? Don't know what to tell you. I've found dealers only stock parts that are needed on a frequent basis. Some take a day or two to get as they are stored in a regional warehouse. A wiring part such as the one your Ram needs is probably a very infrequently needed part.

I agree that a part such as a shock shouldn't take more than a few days to get. Two weeks is ridiculous. I needed to replace the battery in my Ram several months ago - battery was fine, but it was 7 years old and with I felt I was on borrowed time. Showed up at the dealer (had a good coupon from the dealer for a MoPar battery), they took the truck in. 20 minutes later the service writer came out and was embarrassed to admit they were out of stock and wouldn't have any until later the next week (this was a Saturday). And it wasn't just them - there were no comparable batteries (warranty wise) available at any of the retailers locally. The next week I went back and they had plenty of them.

I don't have a 4X4 (My Ram is a 4x2), but I, too, am a bit leary of the electronic 4x4 controls.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The truck is a 2012, just over 20k miles on it. I've been extremely happy with how the coil suspension in the rear handles a full load and all kinds of people ask me about the Ram Box. Thats one feature that I don't think I could live without now. After screwing around for years with regular tool boxes, the Ram Box is way more convenient and better at keeping things organized. I'd like to shake the hand of the engineers who made it possible. :)

The downside to the truck has been how low it sits. I understand the lower stance and air dams help the MPG's, but it sure is a belly dragger. Some taller tires will help a bit when the stock ones give out.

The issue with the dealer getting parts is frustrating. The reasons they give for not getting parts make sense, but it's all the time. The shocks were under warranty so it took longer, the wiring harness isn't a normal part to stock so it takes longer. I've had other vehicles serviced there with similar results. Now at the other end of the spectrum, locally there is a very small Ford dealer that used to be a stand alone Jeep dealer. Even after the Jeep franchise was taken away, I still take my work and private vehicles there for non-warranty service. The longest I've waited for parts has been less than a week and thats for GM or Dodge parts. That's another reason I feel the Dodge dealer is foot dragging. I wonder how the Mom and Pop Ford dealer can get parts sooner than the multi location, multiple franchise Auto Mall can. :huh:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I don't know the situation, but I'd almost bet that Mom & Pop Shop, lost their Jeep Dealership in the purge of dealers that wouldn't or couldn't carry CD&R vehicles.
Many great Jeep dealerships were flushed because they couldn't afford, or didn't have, the physical space to carry the entire line-up.

IMO, It's a sad commentary on todays citizens that they are unable to shift a level and complained enough to the company to force the change to the switch.
Frankly, if you can't shift a level from 2H to 4H, you probably shouldn't be out in the forest. ;)

Reactions: dak4x4

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No need to bet Norm. I don't know how long they had Jeep, but they still had some sweet Jeep/AMC signage inside.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Most of the time there are always options (inter-planetary galactic backorders excluded). I had a customer at one time need a transfer case rear half for a work truck at 4:30 in the afternoon. He wanted it for the next day. About twenty minutes later and $200.00 in freight (what we were charged) I had one shipped from California for 10:30 the next morning. Please remember sometimes the options you want will cost extra. Just ask if they can get it sooner. I view my job is to give you options. It is your vehicle and your choice to make.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Two weeks for a wire harness stub?

What'd they have to to, mine the copper ore and smelt it?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Most will wait the week in place of paying the NDA charges. Some are just cheap and thats OK. Its their vehicle their choice.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I received a call from the service dealer. He wants to close the work order because "it's been open so long" and have me bring in my truck again so he can open a new work order and hopefully figure out just exactly needs to be fixed. To clarify, no parts are on order and they MAY be able to fix it, but if not another appointment will need to be made. The original service date for repair was June 25th.

Thanks Lee Auto Mall in Auburn, Maine. You stink.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,683 Posts
So he's left you hanging all this time? Told you he needed to order a part and never ordered it?

Is there another dealer within a reasonable distance?

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think what really cranked me was that he was getting grief for having an old work order still open and he had the stones to tell me he wanted to close it and open a new one to get his boss off his back. Maybe, just maybe he should be concerned with FIXING the problem. At the very least, don't say that to the customer.

There are two more that are "local". One I stopped going to after they left the drivers window wide open for a rainy afternoon. Most likely I will take it to the Ford dealer who lost his Jeep franchise during the purge. Now I'll have to hear about how I should of got an F-150 :thumbsdown: .

Sometimes being a Dodge fan ain't easy.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
GasAxe said:
Well I received a call from the service dealer. He wants to close the work order because "it's been open so long" and have me bring in my truck again so he can open a new work order and hopefully figure out just exactly needs to be fixed. To clarify, no parts are on order and they MAY be able to fix it, but if not another appointment will need to be made. The original service date for repair was June 25th.

Thanks Lee Auto Mall in Auburn, Maine. You stink.
My gut tells me there is an ulterior motive for this. Either to eliminate their screw up, your rights to a lemon law fix, or to erase any history of warranty covered items that may soon expire.

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Dealerships usually scramble to close open work orders at the end of the month so they can get the final numbers in.
The t/case uses about 6 wires and as long as the connector isn't damaged, the wiring should be repairable.
Electronic t/case control is necessary for features like ESP/ESC and other enhanced operations where a module has to control t/case selections instantly.
I have seen a wood stick break critical plastic underbody components and poke through a tire sidewall, totally disabling the vehicle.
I guess that these things happen, but that is no excuse for not resolving the problem in a timely manner.

·
Registered
6,726 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well my truck is fixed! The 4WD module and axle motor actuator were both replaced. The worst problem was a four prong wiring plug that was wired incorrectly which led to incorrect signals sent between all the electronic components. It's sure nice to have a dash without multiple warning lights lit up on it!

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would personally never own a truck that had an electronic t-case....nope, ain't gonna happen!! And just for that reason....relying on a computer to engage my 4 wheel drive??? One lever going thru the floor to the side of the t-case...pretty simple if you ask me. Sure, you lose some room on the transmission tunnel for that extra cup holder...but I usually travel by myself, so I do not need that many drinks!

My .02 cents.

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
The main reason for the electronic drivetrain, brake and steering controls is for the ESP/ESC feature. It needs to instantly control drivetrain components when immediate intervention or evasive 'course correction' action is necessary for safety.
Some studies say that this feature has reduced SUV accidents by 67% and single-vehicle fatal rollovers by 77%, this is very huge news. Saving many lives and injuries and some sheetmetal is always good.
Although I have nothing against manual controls, ESC can't modulate the drivetrain with this.
Eventually all new vehicles may have ESC. Most do now. The biggest benefit is seen in trucks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_stability_control

·
Registered
699 Posts
dieseldog1970 said:
I would personally never own a truck that had an electronic t-case....nope, ain't gonna happen!! And just for that reason....relying on a computer to engage my 4 wheel drive??? One lever going thru the floor to the side of the t-case...pretty simple if you ask me. Sure, you lose some room on the transmission tunnel for that extra cup holder...but I usually travel by myself, so I do not need that many drinks!

My .02 cents.
You have the computer doing every thing else besides turning the steering wheel and mashing down the gas pedal, so what's a 2 to 4 wheel drive switching to the computer? All in a days work. And purely mechanical 4 wheel drive rigs fail too, usually locking up the entire truck, because they are operator error engaged with too much wheel slippage or too high rpms.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
dak4x4 said:
You have the computer doing every thing else besides turning the steering wheel and mashing down the gas pedal, so what's a 2 to 4 wheel drive switching to the computer? All in a days work. And purely mechanical 4 wheel drive rigs fail too, usually locking up the entire truck, because they are operator error engaged with too much wheel slippage or too high rpms.
Just a thought, but it's his wish to still feel connected with his truck. Engaging the clutch, placing the shifter into gear, feeling the clutch under your foot, slowly putting the power to the drivetrain, feeling the connection between engine and transmission as the load begins to move and rolling up to speed. Knowing that the driver is controlling the interaction of the gears and mechanism, is the last vestige of connection between a driver and his rig. It's his prerogative to have that connection and it shouldn't be denigrated. It's his choice.
The same can be said about engaging the transfer case.
The computer controls can take over from there and do, so it's really not about operator error, or too high of rpm, there are already safeguards against those actions, besides, too high of rpm engagement is THE current problem with the KL re flash, so having the task done by computer isn't the end all be all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts