Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
New
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2003 Durango is up for emissions. 4.7, 158,000 miles. I have an engine light, the evap purge valve code. Killing the battery clears it for several days at least. Of course I have read that simply clearing the light will not make the vehicle pass emissions, all the drive cycle monitors need to be cleared as well which takes time and certain conditions.

If I kill the light and make it through 3 days of commuting do you think that will do it or what?

Yeah, yeah yeah, fix the issue. Well I already bought the gas cap and checked all of the lines- they all look great. Next would be the valve itself but yes god dang me, Im looking for an easy way out.

Ive also heard of certain drive sequences that will clear the monitors quickly but who knows. Maryland is pretty lax either way. If I fail it, they will give me more time, then I can get a 6 month extension after that, yada yada....oh to hell with it I better just fix the damn thing.

They already bled me dry getting the damn thing on the road. $550 in tax title and tags. Omalley is a crook...I think I will drive my old emissions exempt B250 today and smog up his state some more.

·
Super Moderator
31,989 Posts
They will detect the battery disconnect, it will probably take quite a while for that to clear, so disconnecting probably won't get you by.

Often this code is a loose or defective gas cap, or a cracked vacuum hose to the purge canister or the fuel tank vent.

·
Super Moderator
21,367 Posts
Many times at this age it is a cracked (dry rotted) or swollen rubber hose, especially at the hose ends where they attach to a line or component. Using your underhood vacuum map as a diagram, carefully look for any breach to air in the evaporative system plumbing or components.
The evap small leak code (P0442 or P0456) can be set with a pinhole leak. It needs to be a closed, airtight system. The larger leaks are more obvious and usually easier to find.
A shop smoke machine blows cool vegetable oil smoke into the lines. It is often laced with a UV dye and the leak will be apparent by looking for the smoke. Some can be difficult to find and service, i.e.- a leak on top of the fuel tank. They can also be intermittent.
I have found leaks at the purge valve hoses where they attach to the valve under the hood. The engine heat and hydrocarbons swell and soften the ends where they fit over the purge valve fittings just enough to set the code. Wire tie wraps (zip ties) can be snugged around the hose ends to clamp it tightly onto the valve fittings.
If a battery disconnect would make a vehicle pass an emissions test, they would all do it. The PCM has to run tests (OBD II monitors) before the monitors will pass. This is what the state emissions test looks for. It is easier than an actual tailpipe emissions test. It can take 2 or 3 days to run all the OBD II emission monitors in various driving conditions called drive cycles or 'good trips'. The fuel level has to be over 1/4 tank, but not full in order for the monitors to run.

http://www.lyberty.com/car/drive-cycle.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts