Allpar Forums banner

Engine firing order and timing help please

4K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  68RT 
#1 ·
Hi fellas first time poster i have an old dodge truck sitting on the farm its a 1978
the vin is DSN578649
the engine casting number is 4006730-318-15

I am chasing any help regarding the timing, firing order, cylinder numbering I.E where is cylinder 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

any help will be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
Welcome to the forums. This is a left-hand drive vehicle? Drivers side (left front) is always #1. The drivers side bank is odd cylinders (1, 3, 5, 7).
The passenger side (right side) is even cylinders (2, 4, 6, 8).
Timing BTDC should be on an underhood label (if it still exists). If not, consult a service manual or provide more details.

#4 ·
#5 ·
. . . i have an old dodge truck sitting on the farm its a 1978
the vin is DSN578649
the engine casting number is 4006730-318-15 . . .
That is not a valid VIN for a 1978 Chrysler Corporation vehicle; car or truck. It should be 13 characters. Look at the area where the dash meets the windshield and look for a 13 character VIN. It may be recessed into the dash pad for security and you will have to view it from the outside looking down on the dash pad driver's side. Decode and you can determine the original engine that was installed in the truck in 1978. The current engine may be different.

Text Font Line

#8 ·
Take some pics if possible.

Many years ago I ran into a Duster 318 that had an industrial Engine.

I forget the details but the distributor was reverse rotation.

It had cam gears instead of a chain so the firing order was different.

Took some figuring out to get it running.

Vacuum advance or lack of it was a clue??

Thanks
Randy

#9 ·
So maybe my friend was right about the 318 Canadian Dodge Dart I had... Industrial Engine .. He call it a 318 big block because the intake manifold looked so different then the small blocks at that time.

@matthew lawson .. Had a couple trucks like that back in the day.. (80's and 90's) put them through hell and back. But when you said back on the farm.. well that reminds me of a farm visited every year and they had a 78 truck ..Gold brown in colour.. 318 .. we could not kill that truck. Out on the grid roads we were jumping it... Thanks for bring back those awesome memories.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.