Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, new here
I have been working on a 1984 Dodge Omni GLH but I have come to realize that the engine might not be the GLH engine. I was wondering if someone has the head and block casting numbers for the 1984 GLH engine along with the 1985 non turbo engine
the current engine is frozen stiff, someone took the sparkplugs out and it has been sitting in a hoarders collection of cars out in the forest for a couple decades, and if neither the head or the block is from the glh then I will stuff a crate 2.2l in it

·
Super Moderator
37,264 Posts
Even if no one comes up with the stamping numbers, there are still a few things to check.

The VIN should be stamped n the engine block somewhere.

There should be a casting date. The engine and head would need to be cast at least a few days, probably a good bit, before the car’s assembly date.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
A couple of weeks to a month would work.

·
Premium Member
20,098 Posts
If not mistaken, on the back edge of the head (back being the end of the number 4 cylinder), just above the head gasket and block deck, there should be pin prick numbers stamped into the head. I had the info to decode it at one time, thanks to someone on here, but, should be able to locate them online, or, put them on here and we might be able to decode at least the size and year of the engine. Also, get the numbers off the side of the block, and check along the edge of the oil pan rail of the block, there may be a stamped set of numbers there, too.

You can also, to help us out with this info, is do a search to locate casting numbers for Mopar 2.2/2.5 engine, searches like that. May be a Youtube video to show where they are, otherwise possible article from somewhere else.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
was able to locate the numbers for the head and block
head#:4323287

block

also found this on the side of the head just above the casting number

·
Registered
939 Posts
I did finally find my block number 4343834-2 on that list. It came out of a 1987 Lebaron sedan at a junkyard. it has a very strange long square tooth crank sprocket with a smaller 5 bolt pattern for the crank pulley than the CB pattern. The list shows it as a 1986-88 NA or turbo block. It has the forged crank and late rods in it along with the floating wrist pin T2 pistons. As purchased it was painted a gray-green color and has brass freeze plugs.

A good source told me that it was an unused T2 short block that after the common block came out would have been used as a warranty or OTC replacement for any 1985-88 turbo block. I went through it as it had obviously been leaking oil, when I pulled the pan and found that steel crank and the late turbo rods, I was dumfounded. It was a real case of a "barn find". I traded the owner's son an old Dell laptop for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts