Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring 4 Dr,2.4 .Was driving home from work the other night and after hitting a frost heave,no to big of one,the engine just shutdown.All electrics work.Che led all connections,I could find.Any suggestions would be appreciated.81,000 miles and always taken good of her.Was dads car.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Sounds like you may have a broken timing belt to me. But, I'm not a mechanic by trade.

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
Start by checking for spark and fuel, as usual, and post back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Purchased the crank sensor,had to remove the starter to get it out and installed new one.I believe I need to clear the codes before proceeding.The following codes are present P0016,P2074,P340,P137 and finally P0138.
Due to the fact that the battery is in the wheel well,can I clear the codes with a OBD2 or do still need to disconnect the battery.
Thanks to all.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I won't swear to it, but I think if you disconnect the negative cable at the jumpstart connection underhood, that will disconnect the battery.

·
KOG
6,999 Posts
Should be no need to clear codes, just start it and they'll clear after a while anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Had a similar problem on my PT. It was a worn wire in the wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
Trace back the crank and cam sensor wires. There is a place they connect. This is where you will find the problem.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
P0016 may be the clincher. Is the timing belt jumped or broken?

P0016-CRANKSHAFT/CAMSHAFT TIMING MISALIGNMENT
When Monitored: Engine cranking and Engine running
Set Condition: Powertrain Control Module detects an error when the camshaft position is
out of phase with the crankshaft position. One trip fault.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
INTERMITTENT CONDITION
CHECKING INTERMITTENT CMP SIGNAL WITH LAB
CMP WIRE HARNESS INSPECTION
TONE WHEEL/PULSE RING INSPECTION
CKP WIRE HARNESS INSPECTION
TONE WHEEL/PULSE RING INSPECTION
INTERMITTENT CKP SIGNAL
CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR
CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR

P2074 (MAP/TPS correlation) may have happened at stall. Disregard this for now.
P0137 and P0138 are downstream O2 sensor both low and high voltages.
There was a TSB# 18-010-03 for false P0137 and P0339 (crank sensor) that involved a PCM flash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I found that the timing belt had broken. I hope no damage has been to the top end. Will keep you all in the loop. Thanks tp all that assisted
:runaway:

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Was it the original timing belt? Service intervals vary from 60,000 to 100,000 miles. What usually kills them is overheating and exposure to grease and oil.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Hmmmm , seems like someone suggested that about 8 days ago! I don't know if that's an interference engine or not, but I'm sure IC or one of the more knowledgeable members will let you know.

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
2.4L is not a valve-to-piston interference engine. A valve-to-valve hit could occur if conditions were wrong, but is rare. You should be safe. Replace the water pump and idler pulleys (bearings) as well as the belt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pro you were correct,I suspected that as well but hoped it wasn't due to the issues involved.
On the bright side I have a friend who is really into Mopar and will do the job for 600. I buy the parts,another 250.00.Cheaper than a car payment!
BTW
I agree that it is not entirely a interference engine,Mopar also says in a reply to the question that as well.
Thanks to all for the info,will let you all know how I make out

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey folks back again,new belt tensioner and all.Ran great for 2 days now I have the ce light on and a p137 code,sensor,should I just replace both of them? Thanks ......again

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Based on the P0137 and the P0138, it sounds like something isn't kosher with your O2 sensor. I would check your wiring and grounds before you go after the sensor itself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unusually Active,
I was told after a timing belt change it may trigger a CE light for a day or so then clear. What do you all think does this sound right? Sensors are not cheap as you all know. Should I continue to drive it. There are no issues with performance, actually it is running better than before the timing belt broke, go figure.....thx again :drive: Prolific how bout you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts