Allpar Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiay...

I have a question about my 09 Journey with 64k miles on the clock. I have the 2.4L World Engine. Ive noticed within the past few months (over a period of MORE THAN one oil change -- FROM DIFFERENT DEALERS as well), when my engine is COLD (cold outside too) it's ticking.

The ticking SOUNDS like its coming from the head. I can ONLY hear it when the RPMS are increased (under even slight throttle). The sound increases in frequency with speed. It disappears within 2 minutes or so of operation.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
IIRC that oil used in our 2.4 engines is 5W20. If I'm right you 'might' want to consider on your next change filling with 10W30. Of course this is only a guess but it might help those lifters stop ticking during warm up.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IIRC that oil used in our 2.4 engines is 5W20. If I'm right you 'might' want to consider on your next change filling with 10W30. Of course this is only a guess but it might help those lifters stop ticking during warm up.
The fill is indeed 5w-20. Bob it has been crossing my mind frequently... Wondering JUST what oil the dealer(s) is using. Im debating on bringing my own oil in for the next change this weekend.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Wouldn't it be the other way around? The 2.5 needed a ligther cold weight to stop the lifter rattle on startup, a heavier weight would flow poorly cold and wouldn't get to the lifters as quick. It might have something to do with your oil filter too, some of them have anti-drainback valves that aren't necessarily the best design, which also caused problems on the 2.2/2.5 because, again, of cold flow problems.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wouldn't it be the other way around? The 2.5 needed a ligther cold weight to stop the lifter rattle on startup, a heavier weight would flow poorly cold and wouldn't get to the lifters as quick. It might have something to do with your oil filter too, some of them have anti-drainback valves that aren't necessarily the best design, which also caused problems on the 2.2/2.5 because, again, of cold flow problems.
Only use Mopar filters... in all my cars.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I always had startup rattle when the wrong oil was used (10W30 instead of 5W30) in our 2.2, 2.5, 2.0, and 3.5.
Im just curious as I don't ever recall hearing the noise until recently as noted. As a side note... hopped into the car here today (an unbelieveable 55 degree Ohio Day) and it sounded fine. So the ambient temperature has a direct correlation to the tick.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
The variable valve timing (VVT) components require the 5w-20 motor oil viscosity to act quickly to varying engine demands. The heavier oil will slow the reaction times and possibly cause driveability, fault code sets and 'ck eng' light illumination issues.
The plastic top engine cover pulls off for better access to the source of the noise. A stethoscope can be made with a nail and length of rubber hose. Touch the nail to various exposed components to find out where it is the loudest.

·
Super Moderator
21,346 Posts
The 'world engine' 4-cyls (1.8L, 2.0L and 2.4L), Hemis since 2009 and the Pentastar are all VVT.
The older generation 2.4L found in the PT, SRT-4 and JA/JX/JR's wasn't VVT.

·
Moparaholic
2,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does anyone know the oil capacity on the 2.4? I am going to bring my own oil in Saturday for the change.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,667 Posts
The capacity should be listed in your owner's manual. I would not think it's more than 5 quarts - probably 4-4.5.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I have the last mom´s car that is a Neon LE 1998 like new, and can´t find the way to fisically exchange the original ligther, any help..?
thanks
Pepito

1 - 14 of 14 Posts