Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 Journey Mainstreet, 3.6L. Four times in the last 2 months the engine has died while driving, just stops as if you shut it off. After stopping I put my foot on the brake and hit the start button, engine cranks over but will not fire. Go home and get my truck so I can tow it back, away from the car aprox. 20 min. Get in and hit the start button, car starts right up! Same thing all four times. No check engine lights, no codes on OBD II. I'm at a loss, any ideas are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
21,362 Posts
Always diagnose first, if you possibly can. Losing spark or fuel or both? Any stored fault codes?
Do you have access to a capable OBDII scan tool that can watch crankshaft/camshaft position sensors as it is cranking?
It may need to be in failure to see anything that is wrong.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
. . . . 2011 Journey Mainstreet, 3.6L. Four times in the last 2 months the engine has died while driving, just stops as if you shut it off. After stopping I put my foot on the brake and hit the start button, engine cranks over but will not fire. Go home and get my truck so I can tow it back, away from the car aprox. 20 min. Get in and hit the start button, car starts right up!. . .
This definitely sounds like a heat related event that is causing immediate engine stoppage. Does the vehicle still have the original electric fuel pump? What is the vehicle odometer reading?

Purchase some starting fluid in spray can and keep in the vehicle. Also have a flat blade screw driver and adjustable pliers in the vehicle. Next time you get this stoppage while driving open the hood. Remove the small hose on the side of the upper intake. See attached image. Give a 5 second squirt of starting fluid through the disconnected hose opening into the upper intake. Engage he starter. If the engine starts, runs 1 - 2 seconds and then dies, you know that you have spark and the stalling is due to a fuel delivery problem. If the engine will NOT start and run briefly then you know that you have a spark delivery issue.

Intake Upper 3_6 V6 engine.gif

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Always diagnose first, if you possibly can. Losing spark or fuel or both? Any stored fault codes?
Do you have access to a capable OBDII scan tool that can watch crankshaft/camshaft position sensors as it is cranking?
It may need to be in failure to see anything that is wrong.
No stored codes, a mechanic friend has a scan tool that can see the sensors. But he said the same, that with it being intermittent it won’t show anything now when it’s working correctly. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This definitely sounds like a heat related event that is causing immediate engine stoppage. Does the vehicle still have the original electric fuel pump? What is the vehicle odometer reading?

Purchase some starting fluid in spray can and keep in the vehicle. Also have a flat blade screw driver and adjustable pliers in the vehicle. Next time you get this stoppage while driving open the hood. Remove the small hose on the side of the upper intake. See attached image. Give a 5 second squirt of starting fluid through the disconnected hose opening into the upper intake. Engage he starter. If the engine starts, runs 1 - 2 seconds and then dies, you know that you have spark and the stalling is due to a fuel delivery problem. If the engine will NOT start and run briefly then you know that you have a spark delivery issue.

View attachment 30603
Yes, while I seem to have replaced most everything else over the years it is the original fuel pump. 180,000 miles. Great idea about the starting fluid, I hadn’t thought of that! When it happens again I’ll give that a try. I’ll let you know the result. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Check your ignition relay for corrosion on the terminals in the block or on the relay itself.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts