Allpar Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
ok so my dist. springs and timing tape come in wednesday or thursday. im going to go through the ignition with a fine tooth comb and then set tdc and go from there. once i get the timing dialed in i will let you all knwo what i find and what ive done. hopefully all goes well. im going to go baseline with the carb and timing and see what happens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
so replaced the springs which did have some effect but not exactly enough... then i realized i had the vacuum advance hooked to the wrong port and holy hell what a difference that made! which brings me to the point of the secondaries.... under wot the car falls flat on its face.. while slowly rising to wot there is alot of pop back as ImperialCrown referred to it as and i know that the carb is massively lean on the back end... also! lol i finally found the base-plate number and found that the carb my father had given me was for a 77 400 hp engine so everything in the way of jets and cfm is correct there. any suggestions on tuning the carb? btw carb number is 9103s and the way i found it was correct is in reference to this post on http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?38460-Thermoquad-Guide . i found it to be incredibly helpful... but a bit of info overload when it came to the tuning...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
so i ended up buying a cheap tach to see what she was doing and at what rpm i could or could not get....the engine would not go over 2500 rpm! come to find out it had nothing to do with my carb! i got a hold of my father and discovered that the orange box ignition he gave me was in fact 30+ years old lol! it had also been through 2 wrecks... so i bought a cheap replacement ignition from the parts store and holy hell! 5500 rpm right out of the gate. another problem i was having was a lack of back pressure... (open headers) now the exhaust is complete and i have some hesitation but its due to the carb i bought... mine that i rebuilt and did so in a meticulous manner had a avs adjustment spring that was all twisted up and mangled.... also i lost the lock nut. bought another from a guy it was an older model of my carb but it had been rebuilt and tuned for a 440... still working on the tuning on that but if i cant get anywhere im taking the tension spring and lock nut out of it and fixing my 9103 because its fresh and has the brass floats that are set mildly higher for better throttle in the corners. car is running pretty good right now and i shall keep everyone updated on the progress.... thank you to everyone for their help and input and i apologize if i frustrated anyone with my lack of knowledge (which im gaining more and more by the day lol)

21 - 23 of 23 Posts