Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my minivan chrysler town country 1998 stalls when I turn on the air conditioning
does anybody know if this is only a sensor problem or the computer?

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Welcome to Allpar, dude. If you'll repost your question in the Minivan section, you're more likely to get some answers.

·
Registered
560 Posts
My '99 Ram did the same thing. Turned out to be a bad compressor. It stopped the engine so quickly, it also ruined the drive belt! Takes a lot of whoa to stop a Cummins.

·
Registered
26 Posts
marco1672 said:
my minivan chrysler town country 1998 stalls when I turn on the air conditioning
does anybody know if this is only a sensor problem or the computer?
The first thing that comes to mind is a dirty throttle body. Idle speed is controlled by the amount of air that can pass through the throttle body when in the idle position and the AIS stepper motor, which is operated by the engine computer. It opens just enough to maintain 'desired' idle speed. When the throttle body is very dirty, the stepper motor must be much further open at all times in order to maintain this 'desired idle speed' There may not be any further opening possible, hence the engine stalls when loaded down by the A/C compressor.

·
Super Moderator
31,981 Posts
If it were that, it would stall at other times when the AIS was commanded to move.

I put my money on a seizing compressor, also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts