Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '87 Horizon, 2.2 carbed has a bad surge right around 1500rpm. It doesn't matter if it's in neutral standing still, or whether you'r trying to drive down the road. If you put it in gear, hold the brakes, and give it gas, it will start surging right around 1500rpm. It's almost as if the ignition switch is being turned on and off. Once it gets to 2000rpm it runs smoothly from there on up. It will idle with no problem. New fuel filter, checked all the vacuum hoses, I've never had one do this before. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
You need to check your fault codes, http://www.allpar.com/fix/80s-codes.html. It sounds to me like your ignition pickup might be flaky, but that's just as good a guess as any without checking codes first.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do you check for fault codes on carbed models. Doing the "key dance" doesn't" provide any results.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
My bet is a problem with the carb itself.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since my time was limited and my daughter needed the car ASAP, I had to shotgun the repairs, so I'm not sure which item actually fixed the surging. Here's what I found: Carburetor base was slighty warped causing an air leak, charcoal canister purge valve had "fallen apart", a PCV valve that seemed to be partially plugged, and some questionable vacuum lines. I filed the carb base flat and replaced the gasket, reassembled the purge valve (J-B Weld was involved), replaced the PCV valve, and replaced all questionable vacuum lines. On the 1st test ride after repairs there was no surging but the alternator wasn't charging (it was charging before the repairs as far as I know). Alternator was bad so I replaced it and the regulator. Car seems to run fine now (actually it's running better than it has in a long time). Only time will tell if it's really "fixed".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts