Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 Dakota with a 4.7 liter 8. 2wd automatic.
The engine is trashed and was told that this particular year is different than all the other years because of a crank sensor.
Aparently because its the first year for the 4.7.
Can I install the previous years 5.2??
What other engines will bolt in?

Also have a 93 Shadow, V6 5spd. This 3.0 is the 6g72 sohc motor that is found just about everywhere.
Do all 6g72 engines have the same transmission bolt pattern??
This would include the dohc 3.0, dohc twin turbo 3.0, and the Mivec 3.5, and possibly the 3.8 liter
Z

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
The 4.7 uses a different transmission than the 5.2 so your swap would have to include the transmission and engine and transmission electronics as well.

The idea of a DOHC or turbo 3.0 in the Chrysler cars has been discussed before and they do appear to share the same bolt pattern, but I am not aware of anyone who was ever able to sort out the electronics to get one running.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. The 4.7L started in the 1999 Grand Cherokee (WJ). Dodge started it in 2001. The Jeep and Dodge 4.7L engines would be different for JTEC or NGC PCM's. A 2001 year 4.7L engine shouldn't be that hard to find. The electronics changed as well as sensor locations in these throughout the years. A 5.2/5.9L would be a step backwards and very hard to swap. Transmission and electronics and state emission testing may be major confrontations.
The Mitsubishi Cyclones shared many features and came in various displacements and configurations. Despite oil consumption issues, these were successful engines. You would need the wiring and electronics from a donor car to upgrade. A Stealth twin-turbo DOHC might work with time and money!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_6G7_engine

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
When you say the 4.7 is trashed, what does that entail? Unless the block itself is cracked it can be rebuilt. Even if all the internal components are destroyed, it would still be easier to rebuild than to do a swap of this nature due to the sensors, unless you found another same year donor and everything was removed under the hood and swapped with the donor components.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts