Allpar Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy an 86 Fifth Ave. for $500. It has ducumented 76,000mi. on it and the engine runs great. I'm wondering if I take all the ignition and other parts off my 88 Fury could I put them on the 86 engine? I know some things are dif. between the years. Also all of the trim parts are in great shape and was going to strip it and junk the body (It's in aweful shape).

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I have an opportunity to buy an 86 Fifth Ave. for $500. It has ducumented 76,000mi. on it and the engine runs great. I'm wondering if I take all the ignition and other parts off my 88 Fury could I put them on the 86 engine? I know some things are dif. between the years. Also all of the trim parts are in great shape and was going to strip it and junk the body (It's in aweful shape).
I see no reason why not since they're essentially the same car mechanically. I'm guessing your 1986 is stock? Either way the parts should swap right over.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 88 is stock and the 86 fifth is stock. My Fury has 98,000mi. on it but it did sit on the side of a house for 5 yrs. Inside the engine is a bit filthy. Used some Sea Foam and it did clean it up a bit. My car is in pretty good shape. I just would like to get this car for parts and have another engine handy. Nice thing I don't need all the emissions crap cause both are old enough to bypass the test :)

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
The two engines should be pretty much identical, assuming the Gran Fury is a civilian car and not a cop car.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
I don't even see much of a problem even if there's an emissions under-hood inspection, unless they go crazy and literally inspect the block for numbers matching. Sometimes there are retrofit rules for only allowing same year or newer engines, but my guess is that within certain year ranges or unless things are obviously modified, no one will really care.

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
Considering the 1988 Fifth Avenue and the 1986 Diplomat use the exact same spark control computer (assuming they have the same federal vs. CA emissions) I don't see there being any emissions differences between them.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I don't even see much of a problem even if there's an emissions under-hood inspection, unless they go crazy and literally inspect the block for numbers matching. Sometimes there are retrofit rules for only allowing same year or newer engines, but my guess is that within certain year ranges or unless things are obviously modified, no one will really care.
Considering the 1988 Fifth Avenue and the 1986 Diplomat use the exact same spark control computer (assuming they have the same federal vs. CA emissions) I don't see there being any emissions differences between them.
As both of you stated and too: I believe the EPA turns a blind eye towards 'tampering' if a vehicle is at least 25 years old and the 1988 5th Ave is that now (2013's are out). In this particular case; as valiant67 pointed out, since the smog parts are identical between the two years in question (318-2V vs. 318-2V here), the issue is moot IMHO even in places like California.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As both of you stated and too: I believe the EPA turns a blind eye towards 'tampering' if a vehicle is at least 25 years old and the 1988 5th Ave is that now (2013's are out). In this particular case; as valiant67 pointed out, since the smog parts are identical between the two years in question (318-2V vs. 318-2V here), the issue is moot IMHO even in places like California.
I do not have to go thru emissions in my State any more. 25 years and older don't have to and, they are fazing out it all together. It really is a joke. I'm taking all the emission crap off anyway. Going to headers and dual exhaust. I took the belt off the smog pump and my 88 Fury runs better. I won't need all that crap on the 86 Fifth as well. Hey thanks guys. Now to find the money :(

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
I do not have to go thru emissions in my State any more. 25 years and older don't have to and, they are fazing out it all together. It really is a joke. I'm taking all the emission crap off anyway. Going to headers and dual exhaust. I took the belt off the smog pump and my 88 Fury runs better. I won't need all that crap on the 86 Fifth as well. Hey thanks guys. Now to find the money :(
Unless you're going hog wild with higher compression, big cam, 4 barrel carb and intake: I wouldn't even bother with the headers since the stock exhaust manifolds flow rather well up to about 4,500 or so RPM. What you should consider IMHO is pitching the ELB and going with a Mopar performance electronic ignition conversion and a mild 4V carb and matching intake.

Another thing to consider is to get rid of your ca. 2:24 ratio rear end and go with a ca. 2:94-3:23 replacement, you may be able to snag one with those rears and matching driveshaft assuming the donor also has a 904 tranny from under an 318-4V M body cop car. :)

Reactions: floridaman2013

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
Nothing will help more than the rear axle swap mentioned above. I'd rather have an otherwise stock car with a rear axle swap than a modified car with the factory gears (and I've had both).
My 1982 Fifth Avenue (stock except ignition swap and 2.9 rear axle) easily outran my 1982 Mirada (stock 2.2 gears, hotter cam, 4bbl added, dual exhaust, etc). Got a heck of a bargain on the Mirada because the previous owner couldn't understand why the car was so slow with all the work he did on it. It was all the gearing.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Nothing will help more than the rear axle swap mentioned above. I'd rather have an otherwise stock car with a rear axle swap than a modified car with the factory gears (and I've had both).
My 1982 Fifth Avenue (stock except ignition swap and 2.9 rear axle) easily outran my 1982 Mirada (stock 2.2 gears, hotter cam, 4bbl added, dual exhaust, etc). Got a heck of a bargain on the Mirada because the previous owner couldn't understand why the car was so slow with all the work he did on it. It was all the gearing.
Big time agree there.

A few years back I had a 1978 Chevy Caprice sedan with a 350-4V in it: that thing was an absolute pig off the line and sucked a lot of gas in town. Thinking back on it: I suspect it had ca. 2:56 gears which ain't jack with ca. P225/70R15 tires.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Yeah, I had 2.43:1 gears in the '78 Cordoba and it was a DOG until I put the 3.21:1 in it.

IF you change differentials, be sure the check if the torque converter lockup RPM needs to be changed. I killed two transmissions because of that.

Also, I strongly advise you to verify that everything is in proper working order. I had a wiped cam lobe for years, all the while I was trying dual exhaust with headers, 4bbl carb and intake, and the like. If I had fixed the cam lobe then perhaps my car would have been less of a problem over the years for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well the stock exhaust manifolds are shot (warped with holes besides I'm not using the smog equip.). If I ever swap the engine out I will have all the exhaust stuff ready to go. I could be mistaken but, in 88-89 they had the better rear gears. If not I will eventually replace. I am going to do the electro ign. change as well. For the 4bbl i'm not bothering with it for now. I know someone who has kept the 2bbl and its working fine. Remember the stock ex. mans have smog pump pipes and ox. sensor hole as I stated before don't need it and the car runs fine in fact better w/ out the pump. I'm not looking for a "hot rod" just something that run good and gets me were I want to go. The factory exhaust I'm sorry is crap. Frre flow is the way to go IMO.

·
Super Moderator
36,924 Posts
After 1980 only the cop cars got the better rear gears (and then only the 4bbl cop cars got the 2.9 gears for sure, only a few 2bbl cop cars got the 2.9 gears). All civilian cars had the horrid 2.2 gears.

You probably heard that the 88/89 cars are more likely to have the 8.25" axle which is more durable than the 7.25" axle, but the gear ratios remains the 2.2 in either style.

·
Registered
572 Posts
If your 88 is a police car, the swap to the fifth ave will not work that great. The ELE 318 Police engine uses low compression 587 heads, which are a modified 360 head, You currently have 302 heads in your fifth ave, which are better flowing, higher compression.

The only weak spot in the 2 barrel cars is the timing chain and sprockets. Get a double roller set off Rock Auto. They also sell all sensors, connectors, and the engine computers. You gain nothing by swapping down to the older electronic ignition.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
AHBGuru, you do realize that thread is over 2 years old, don't you?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts