Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
As far as I ever knew it was the Chrysler 217 or the 230. I don't know my flatheads very well but I don't think a Jeep engine will work.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
The 6 cyl flathead was used in Plymouths since the early 1930's. A 6 flathead from Dodge, DeSoto, or Chrysler should bolt in also. Of course you can adapt for other engines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dak4x4 said:
The 6 cyl flathead was used in Plymouths since the early 1930's. A 6 flathead from Dodge, DeSoto, or Chrysler should bolt in also. Of course you can adapt for other engines.
Do you think a 232 from a Jeep will be adaptable if I make a custom bracket

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
51Plymouth said:
Do you think a 232 from a Jeep will be adaptable if I make a custom bracket
I see no reason why the AMC/Jeep 232/258 wouldn't work assuming your oil pan clears the steering linkage and crossmember. Too; assuming you're running a matching tranny; make sure that things clear there as well.............if they do, you're home free since things like exhaust, cooling, throttle linkage, etc. are (relatively) minor to sort out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bearhawke said:
I see no reason why the AMC/Jeep 232/258 wouldn't work assuming your oil pan clears the steering linkage and crossmember. Too; assuming you're running a matching tranny; make sure that things clear there as well.............if they do, you're home free since things like exhaust, cooling, throttle linkage, etc. are (relatively) minor to sort out.
how about using the existing plymouth tranny

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
You would have to find or make an adapter to fit. FYI. A 230 Plymouth flathead was about 30" OAL including fan. However a 265 was about 33". They are different lengths for different cu. in. I believe that yours was equipped with a 217 cu. in. (1942-1953+) 1954 came with230 that Dodge already had.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts