Allpar Forums banner
101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Still, all Iron Dukes are Pontiac Engines.

Thanks
Randy

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I never said it wasn't, Pontiac knew where Chevy screwed up, maybe that's why they aren't around any more?

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Can anybody with a good deal of certainty, confirm that the 68RFE will NOT fit behind a Chrysler 440 RB without an adapter plate?
It won’t fit without an adapter.

·
Premium Member
20,217 Posts
Agree, I believe the bolt pattern for the new transmissions are that of the small block Mopars (unless they changed it), so it would be like attaching a small block 727 to a big block engine. Luckily this is a more common adapter, it should be the same as the 4spd overdrive transmissions of the 90s and up, but then the next question of concern is how do you control the transmission itself, being computer controlled, along with kickdown and shift points? That would concern me even more than the bolt pattern.

·
KOG
7,136 Posts
68 RFW is a Cummins application?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Apparently he is going to keep asking this everywhere he can until he gets the answer he likes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll go back through the links, I just browsed for bell housing info, I've never really looked to see much for details on 4 cyls, as my Jeep has a Gen III V8.

Edited info
GM(Pontiac) "iron duke" 151(2.5l) was used from 80-83 in CJ5/7/8 and was manufactured by GM
AMC 150 (2.5l) is an AMC engine and was introduced in 84, apparently still in use today.
Also found mention of another V8 used by Jeep in 69/70 made by Buick, 350 ci, and also called the Dauntless.

AMC never used a Buick V8 they only used the Buick V6. AMC has never used anyone elses V8s only their own. They did however use several different inline 4 from GM and from Porsche. and the 90 degree (odd fire) V6 from Buick.

And FWIW All AMC engines 4, 6 or 8 cylinders from 1966 forward all used the same bellhousing pattern. And crankshaft/flywheel bolt patterns. AMC was a strong believer in modular and interchangeable construction. However 6 cylinder engines are internal balance and V8s are external balance, so flywheels cannot be interchanged ( well you can but they will shake like hell, ask how i know)..

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I believe if you due your research there were some of the original Wagoneers with Buick 350s. As for AMC never using anyone else's V8, how about the 1955 and 1956 with Packard V8s? The original AMC V8, the 250, 287 and 327 were copied from the Packards, but made much lighter. If you pull a valve cover on these, a joined HN is cast inside the valve area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don’t know if this has been covered elsewhere but I made a huge mistake and would like to help someone else avoid it.
20 years ago I had a ‘90 Dakota with 3.9 six, 170k miles and a bad transmission. With little money, I swapped in a 904 auto from a 70 cuda which was offered to me free. Had a longer drive shaft made, fabbed a trans mount, linkage etc. All set but only 3 gears, I figured that was Ok but I didn’t count on the problem! The issue was Magnum motors are externally balanced and old LA motors were internally balanced! The test ride tried to shake me out of the truck. I ruined the truck! And with 170k untouched miles, I figured the crank bearings would go quick. Making note of the external weight on the old converter, I added washers to one flex plate bolt to calm things down somewhat and traded that puppy to a small car lot that looked underneath at a brand new driveshaft and never questioned it. Let the buyer beware.
Andygears

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
20 years ago I had a ‘90 Dakota with 3.9 six, 170k miles and a bad transmission. With little money, I swapped in a 904 auto from a 70 cuda which was offered to me free. Had a longer drive shaft made, fabbed a trans mount, linkage etc. All set but only 3 gears, I figured that was Ok but I didn’t count on the problem! The issue was Magnum motors are externally balanced and old LA motors were internally balanced!
That is somewhat incorrect. A 318 LA / 5.2 Magnum is always internally balanced. A 360 LA / 5.9 Magnum is always externally balanced though the balance amount is different. The 3.9 LA or Magnum is always internally balanced.

Since you mentioned weights on the torque converter, the converter came from a 360, set up for external balance. Knocking the weights off the converter would solve the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is somewhat incorrect. A 318 LA / 5.2 Magnum is always internally balanced. A 360 LA / 5.9 Magnum is always externally balanced though the balance amount is different. The 3.9 LA or Magnum is always internally balanced.

Since you mentioned weights on the torque converter, the converter came from a 360, set up for external balance. Knocking the weights off the converter would solve the problem.
Maybe I was not clear, I used the converter from the ‘70 car that had a 318, I don’t believe it had any weights on it. But the converter I took out from the Dakota, did have a weight. By using the biased bolt pattern on the converter, I determined approximately where the weight was radially. I cut the tin flex plate cover in half, so the starter could remain in place. Then put the truck up and down on the lift trying different washers on the nearest of the 4 bolts and adjacent ones, then starting the truck and judged the vibration. The best was maybe 50% less shake, about like a badly unbalanced wheel when driving.
Are you saying that I should have used the converter from the Dakota? With the earlier transmission? I obviously screwed up and wanted to help somebody else avoid this but maybe I still don’t understand. If the 3.9 Magnum is internally balanced why did I have a problem when the early LA 318 is also internally balanced?
Andygears

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Was the weight on the 3.9 torque converter on the side of the converter or on the face of the torque converter where it bolted to the flywheel?
You could not put the later torque converter in the older transmission as the spline count was likely different.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Was the weight on the 3.9 torque converter on the side of the converter or on the face of the torque converter where it bolted to the flywheel?
You could not put the later torque converter in the older transmission as the spline count was likely different.
I want to learn from my mistake and hopefully someone else will too. The weight on the Dakota torque conv. was near the outside face toward the engine, about a 1 inch by 1/2 inch by 3/16 thick rectangle spot welded on. 20 years ago so that’s close To the size.
During this ordeal I heard that Magnum engines are externally balanced, half on the crank pulley in front, (like a 454 Chevy) and half on the TC. Is that true information? And LA engines were internally balanced?
Anyway it’s one more thing to consider when mixing new and old, even though it bolts up.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
Where you heard about Magnums being externally balanced and LA being internally balanced was incorrect. Some LA and some Magnums are internally balanced. Other LA and Magnums are externally balanced.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK then, I was wrong in describing all Magnum and All LA motors but that means if the 3.9 Magnum was internally balanced, what I did should have worked. Maybe I’ve Been mistaken thinking I understood what went wrong. The 904 automatic had sat in that ’70 cuda behind a broken 318, outside in New England with the top down/destroyed for at least 10 years. I dropped the pan and dumped the converter when I installed it, things looked OK but maybe the old converter itself was at fault? From sitting maybe a heavy rusted area inside the converter? The drivetrain worked ok except for the shake, shifted through all 3 gears & reverse normally.
On a side note, in about 2010, that beat Cuda convertible with no engine/trans sold for about $12,000.! My buddy who gave me the trans. showed up at my house with a Harley he bought with the proceeds and told me his e-bay story.
Andygears

·
Registered
1 Posts
Okay, the point of this is to help reduce the confusion in which engines and which transmissions had which compatible bolt patterns. This is principally of concern to engine swappers, especially in light of the increasing availability of 5.7L Hemi engines and others for swaps into older cars, but it could come in handy for people working on front wheel drive cars (like a 2.2L to 2.4L swap), and it's probably just good information to have.

Anything that you can contribute, ie, which engines have the same patterns, engines not on the list, names of patterns, and even transmissions themselves with common patterns, would be much appreciated.

As information is posted I or another interested moderator will modify the topmost post to reflect that information.
I have a few questions myself. I currently have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus with the 2.4l in it. I also have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Sport Trailhawk with the 3.2l V6 in it. I had a front wheel drive Chrysler 200 with the 3.6l V6 in it. They all have the 9 speed auto transmission. I've found that the 3.2l, and the 3.6l are the same length. So my question is this. Can I take the 3.6l and put it in my 2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus that currently has the 2.4l in it? If not. I'm sure I can do the 3.2l V6 at least.

·
Super Moderator
38,325 Posts
I have a few questions myself. I currently have a 2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus with the 2.4l in it. I also have a 2017 Jeep Cherokee Sport Trailhawk with the 3.2l V6 in it. I had a front wheel drive Chrysler 200 with the 3.6l V6 in it. They all have the 9 speed auto transmission. I've found that the 3.2l, and the 3.6l are the same length. So my question is this. Can I take the 3.6l and put it in my 2020 Jeep Cherokee Latitude Plus that currently has the 2.4l in it? If not. I'm sure I can do the 3.2l V6 at least.
It’s not that simple because of electronics. If you want a V6 Jeep Cherokee sell the one you have with the 4 and buy a V6. You’d have to find a wrecked 2020 V6 Cherokee and do the swap. That includes engine, transmission. All the computer controls, wiring, exhaust, etc. You’ll be far better off taking the hit on trade in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey everyone. I searched through the thread but couldn't seem to find an answer to my question.

Can anyone tell me if it would be possible to mate a 4.7 powertech to a zf8hp70?
I know the Rams had both but we're never mated together. I also know that the electronics won't work either. I'm strictly asking if the bell housing and torque converter could mate to the 4.7.

Thank you

101 - 119 of 119 Posts