Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loking for any documentation on installing a new model 4.7 liter V-8 in palce of an old 318 in a 1973 dodge wd100.
Also will a new 5 speed auto bolt up to the 4.7? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
36,952 Posts
That will be tough. There are more products (and swaps to view on line) supporting the new Hemi than for the 4.7. With the new Hemi, you can swap in factory electronics, aftermarket electronics or even go with a carb. I think your only option for the 4.7 will be to keep the factory electronics which probably means you'd have to use the auto from behind the 4.7 as well which was a 5 speed auto in later years.

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
As valiant67 stated.

Unless you already have a decent 4.7 with its attendant ancillaries i.e. tranny, electronics, etc. on hand: I'd def go with the 5.7 Hemi. Barring that; swapping in a 5.9l Magnum AKA 360 wouldn't be as bad since it was a factory option in the 1993 D/W series Dodge pickups which are the same bodystyle as your 1973 Dodge truck. :)

·
Super Moderator
36,952 Posts
And like the Hemi, there is some aftermarket support to get a 5.9 Magnum running with stock fuel injection without using just the factory electronics. Downside is you are limited to a 4 speed auto.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts