Allpar Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 PT cruiser convertible GT with Turbo 55K. The dealership is telling me I need a new wiring harness. Since I cannot buy new, what years are compatible? The dealership wants to rewire at a cost of over $4,800. I would like to find used. I assume 2007 and 2008 would work. What about 2009?

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
24,507 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. What happened to the harness?
A portion of the harness may need repair, but rarely does an entire harness go bad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Allpar. What happened to the harness?
A portion of the harness may need repair, but rarely does an entire harness go bad.
We have replaced PCM, TIPM and the dealer is saying it is still throwing codes and it will not go into higher gears. All I know is that they are saying they want to rewire the wiring harness. Don't know what codes it is still throwing, sorry

·
Super Moderator
24,507 Posts
Always diagnose first.
It sounds as if they are frustrated trying to find the 'root cause' and are throwing the kitchen sink at it.
If you can find out the fault codes, we can try to diagnose why it is going into 'limp in'.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Always diagnose first.
It sounds as if they are frustrated trying to find the 'root cause' and are throwing the kitchen sink at it.
If you can find out the fault codes, we can try to diagnose why it is going into 'limp in'.
We are going to pick it up tomorrow and bring it home. I will have the codes then. Thank you, will post at that time.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Dealerships are in business to make money. There's no point in you paying for the owners kids college school books. Get it home, get the codes and post them here. I'm not that savvy on computer controlled cars, but a LOT of the members here are. You'll probably get a lot more help here as long as you're not afraid to get your hands dirty.

·
Super Moderator
24,507 Posts
Disregard P0700, that is just the PCM telling you that there are fault codes stored in other modules. I could not find a 0100 (typo?) or B1807. Did you mean U0100?

P0882 is a transaxle relay not powering up. It will stay in 'limp-in' (2nd gear). It involves the TIPM & PCM & the wiring in between. Is this why they want to replace the engine compart wiring harness?
As long as the modules are OK and have powers & grounds, there are only 8 wires between them.

Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

U0100 (if that what was meant) is a 'loss of communication' code.
Slope Triangle Rectangle Font Parallel

Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Logo

B1407 is a RF spkr circuit open.
Slope Rectangle Parallel Font Symmetry

B191F is a a LF door window motor issue?
Sky Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue

B2338 is a horn circuit issue.
Rectangle Schematic Slope Font Parallel

Entering fault codes in the 'Search Comminity' box at the top of the page will give you past discussions on similar cases.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was B18D7 and has to do with the convertible top. Right now we are most concerned with the P0882 and getting that resolved. But, yes, the P0882 and all the other minor (front audio left front window, covertible top, horn control) is why they want to replace the harness

·
Super Moderator
24,507 Posts
It would be impractical to replace the wiring harness for the front half of the car. Although some of it may be a wiring problem, it would be localized. It sounds like a 'blow-off' diagnosis.
Were these modules a new or 'remanufactured' Mopar PCM & TIPM? Do they still have a warranty if they proved defective?
Used (swapped) or reman modules may be a problem.

Was P0882 the original problem and U0100 show up after the TIPM & PCM were replaced? Did the shop try and fail to configure the installed modules to the car?
A TIPM is the Gateway and Master module. It holds the VIN & identity of the car. Swapping modules between cars (even for a temporary test) is a no-no.
Once the modules do a handshake over the communications bus (CAN network), it may not be easily undone. Your car may assume the identity of the TIPM donor car.
Rectangle Font Parallel Electric blue Multimedia

Solve for U0100 first.

B18D7 may be related to B191F:
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Logo

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for your comments. We are giving up. We do not have the expertise to fix this ourselves. To take it to a garage, we feel we would be throwing good money after bad at this point. Between the price of the car, the pcm, tipm, battery, diagnostic fees and garage labor, we have put more into the car than it is worth. Its sad, the car is in great shape, low miles, convertible top is like new, engine sounds great....just can't get it out of limp mode.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Where are you located? Just put it up for sale here and MAYBE someone here will buy it. I have no idea how you'd price it with the issues it has, but surely it's worth more than scrap value.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
That definitely rules me out. I HOPE to never set foot in FL again. Nothing personal, but I absolutely hated the 5 years I lived there. It's just too hot year round and I prefer a cooler climate. I'd avoid craigslist because of all of the scammers there. Post it here and maybe in Fakebook market place if you're a member.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Has anyone cleaned up all the ground points? Matt from the "Matt's Garage" YouTube channel has a video on it, and he swears that cleaning up all the ground points (which takes a couple hours but doesn't cost anything) solves a ton of real and potential electrical issues in these PTs.

Thank you to Imperial Crown for all the specific guidance.

I'm looking for a convertible with low miles. I think the others are right about posting it for sale here. See if one of us wants to buy it and find the problem. I'm tempted, because I'm looking for a PT convertible with low miles (although honestly I'm afraid that having a broken car shipped to me might break the bank). It's very much worth posting here to see if one of us wants to save it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Has anyone cleaned up all the ground points? Matt from the "Matt's Garage" YouTube channel has a video on it, and he swears that cleaning up all the ground points (which takes a couple hours but doesn't cost anything) solves a ton of real and potential electrical issues in these PTs.

Thank you to Imperial Crown for all the specific guidance.

I'm looking for a convertible with low miles. I think the others are right about posting it for sale here. See if one of us wants to buy it and find the problem. I'm tempted, because I'm looking for a PT convertible with low miles (although honestly I'm afraid that having a broken car shipped to me might break the bank). It's very much worth posting here to see if one of us wants to save it!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, here she is. 2006 PT Cruiser Turbo Convertible. She is stuck in limp mode. Replaced PCM, TIPM, battery, alternator belts, cleaned all ground wires. Chrysler garage says its a wiring issue, they wanted to replace wiring harness to the tune of $4,800+. We are not savy nor do we have the equipment to try to find the wires causing the problem. Otherwise she runs and drives great. We are located in Spring Hill, FL. $2,500 or BO.

Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Hood
Automotive design Motor vehicle Car Personal luxury car Vehicle
Speedometer Odometer Car Vehicle Tachometer
Vehicle Gear shift Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Personal luxury car
Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

1 - 19 of 19 Posts