Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have this problem: The other day the car suddenly stopped. An inestigation came up with broken fuelpump. I changed the fuelpump, but the motor will not work properly. It seens to go into limp mode and I get error code 16 witch Bob O'Niell has written an article about where he talks about a broken fusible link that can be the problem. My problem is that I can't find the fusible llink. All he says is that it should be white. Anyone knows where to find the link, or have any good idea abt what's the problem might be?
Lasse

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
If your van has a power distribution box (near the battery with fuses and relays inside) fusible links aren't used. I think a 1995 van wil have the power dist. box rather than fusible links.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. Yes it has a power distribution box as You mention. Do have any idea what can cause error code 16 if there is no fusible link. We have checked all fuses in the distribution box. As I can find on the net, it has something to do with -Battery Voltage Drop below Normal-. Thing is that I've got 14V at the battery terminals. Can code 16 have any other meaning?
Lasse

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
How did you determine that the code is 16? I can't find a code 16 in my Haynes manual. That doesn't mean it's not real, just that it's probably a manufacturer exclusive code. Call you local Autozone, Advance or O'Reilly's if you have one and ask them about a code 16.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi. I used the recomended method. Turn the key on-off-on-off-on within 5sec or so and count the number of flashes on the Check Engine Lamp. Them I searched the net for the code and it came up with -Battery Voltage Drop below Normal-, and -Loss Of Battery Voltage Sense-. The only tip I can find is the one from Bob O'Neill mentioned earlier. I have trid asking Chrysler mechanics, but all the say is that I have to search for bad cables/connections. Quite some job. I would imagine that I'm not the olny one with this problem. So I was hoping someone recognised the symptoms and gave me a tip.
Lasse

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
The first thing I'd do it check the voltage in the battery with the van off. It should be around 12.4-12.7 volts. If not, charge it or take it and have it load tested. Next, I'd check the cables and posts for corrosion and clean them and make sure they have tight connections at both ends. Then, start the van and check your voltage at the batter with it running. It should be 14 volts or higher. If not, perhaps you have a faulty alternator. You can drive it to one of your local auto parts stores I've already mentioned and have them check the charging system and run the codes for you. Try these things and get back to us.

·
Super Moderator
36,950 Posts
I agree with Chuzz. Start with the easiest connections first. I've had this code pop up and be solved with nothing more than cleaning the battery terminals.

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
Thanks, Mark. I've owned a lot of Mopars over the years but can honestly say I don't ever recall a code 16 on any of them. But then again, I am brain damaged!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts