Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 base model that started rough one morning and threw a P0301 code. Next day would not start. I have replaced the coil, plugs, and wires but still won't start. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. P0301 is a #1 cylinder misfire. The car may shake and run rough with this code, but should still start and run.
Review your repairs. Did you use an OEM coil and spark plugs? Were the old plug tips black? Coils usually hold up well so I would re-install the old one until you can get some more diagnostics done.
Something else is missing. Ck for fuel and spark? Does it crank over normally or even try to start? Check the cams for turning as a timing belt may have broken? How many miles?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It had Pulstar plugs in it. When I pulled the plugs, the # 2 & 4 plugs' annodes were burnt down to the isolators. I replaced the coil and wires with aftermarket (D.U.I.) and put Nedenso (sp) plugs in. (I always try to upgrade when I replace parts.) I could smell fuel when I replaced the plugs. The cams are turning and it tries to fire. It has est. 128K miles on it and has run great since I bought it new. I'll recheck my work and let you know. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
The timing belt service interval is ~ 100K, so if it hasn't been done yet I would put it on your list.
Is the engine still flooded? Are the plug tips wet with fuel? This can keep them from firing.
Remove the plugs, unplug the coil connector and crank the engine over to dry the cylinders. Remember that fuel vapors are flammable, keep any spark away.
You may want to use only the recommended spark plug type as others can cause issues. Wrong parts aren't an upgrade. The correct heat range was chosen carefully.
I show Champion RE16MC or NGK LZYR4A-11. Check your owners manual or the underhood emissions label for the correct spark plug type.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
Spending more on spark plugs isn't always an upgrade. I doubt you'll find a plug that runs better or lasts longer than the factory recommended plugs. My two thoughts as to why it wouldn't run are the timing belt (sounds intact but could have skipped time) or the crank sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went back out there tonight to double check everything. Gave it another try before I tore it apart again and got it to start. It was running rough, but cleared up and runs better than new! Engine must have still been loaded up.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Depending on how badly the engine was flooded, you might want to change your oil as a precaution also. Gasoline will thin oil. Give it a sniff test for gas odor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts