Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Having just watched this video this afternoon, I'm convinced that this Citroen EV will make a perfect jumping off point for some smaller Chrysler / Dodge vehicles.
The rear ingress is a repeat of the CUSW Chrysler 200. That MUST be fixed if they intend to offer something similar in the US.

Exterior styling is subjective, interior is nice with good materials and loaded nicely. This is a lot nicer than some of the Fiat "donors" we considered (like Tipo).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Having just watched this video this afternoon, I'm convinced that this Citroen EV will make a perfect jumping off point for some smaller Chrysler / Dodge vehicles.
I agree this the perfect entry level CHRYSLER electric car. I wouldn’t restyle it and I would call it a CHRYSLER Citroen C4 to differentiate more it from the new Chryslers that are rebadged Peugeots, 300’s and Pacificas.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Problem with most cars...................hitting your head on the upper door frame.
I always loved the aircraft style doors on my Laser, Shadow and Sundance. Hitting your head on the door frame was not a problem, despite the cars being only 50" and 54" tall. Good tumblehome helped as well.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I agree this the perfect entry level CHRYSLER electric car. I wouldn’t restyle it and I would call it a CHRYSLER Citroen C4 to differentiate more it from the new Chryslers that are rebadged Peugeots, 300’s and Pacificas.
No Citroen in the US. Do you want a car name that many Americans can't pronounce or spell, and looks like a misspelled citrus fruit to many others. You really don't want a car name that reminds your customers of lemons.

Keep all of the french names out of the US.

·
Registered
864 Posts
The rear ingress is a repeat of the CUSW Chrysler 200. That MUST be fixed if they intend to offer something similar in the US.

Exterior styling is subjective, interior is nice with good materials and loaded nicely. This is a lot nicer than some of the Fiat "donors" we considered (like Tipo).
I prefer the styling and interior of this Peugeot.

The only problem is the Citroen wheelbase is 2.5" longer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
No Citroen in the US. Do you want a car name that many Americans can't pronounce or spell, and looks like a misspelled citrus fruit to many others. You really don't want a car name that reminds your customers of lemons.

Keep all of the french names out of the US.
I think you can call it a CHRYSLER Citroen . 90% of Americans don’t know anything about Citroen. I think being transparent about it being a rebadge of a European mainstay would be a good thing as CHRYSLER USA has no history of a small car.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
I actually think its a good idea hat the model starved chrysler should be "electrified" with new models in a complete range of sizes.
  • hit the premium high end economy car pricing ( good value and a high percieved quality at a resonable price..like in the past.) and i think they have a good future.
  • and do some badge engineering to make it a dodge a year later a bit sportier and more agressive look.
  • and make sure that the customers atleast belivie in that mother is working with quality and customer experience.

Reactions: 77 Monaco Brougham

·
Registered
864 Posts
I think you can call it a CHRYSLER Citroen . 90% of Americans don’t know anything about Citroen.
They know they can't pronounce it. They know they don't like weird styling. All of them over 50 or who have traveled to Europe and Asia know what it is. That's about 1/3 of the country. Most of them probably think the brand went extinct instead of being bought out by Peugeot.
I think being transparent about it being a rebadge of a European mainstay would be a good thing as CHRYSLER USA has no history of a small car.
What an ignorant comment. Let me educate you about small cars sold by Chrysler USA. Since the list would be too long I will confine it to the 105.1" (2,670 mm ) wheelbase of the C4 and under.

Chrysler TC 93.3 in (2,370 mm) 2 door convertible
Chrysler Crossfire 94.5 in (2,400 mm) 3 door, 2 door convertible
Chrysler Conquest 95.9 in (2,435 mm) 3 door
Chrysler Laser 97.0 in (2,464 mm) 3 door
Chrysler LeBaron 100.3 in (2,548 mm) 2, 4 dr
Chrysler Town & Country 100.3 in (2,548 mm) 2 dr convertible, wagon
Chrysler LeBaron Coupe 100.5 in (2,553 mm) 2 dr, 2dr convertible
Chrysler PT Cruiser 103 in (2,616 mm) wagon
Chrysler LeBaron GTS 103.1 in (2,619 mm) 5 dr
Chrysler E Class 103.3 in (2,624 mm) 4 dr
Chrysler New Yorker 103.3 in (2,624 mm) 4 dr
Chrysler LeBaron Sedan 103.5 in (2,629 mm) 4 dr
Chrysler Sebring Coupe 103.7 in (2,634 mm) 2 dr
Chrysler New Yorker 104.5 in (2,654 mm) 4 dr

Let me tell you who had the first now industry standard transverse 4 cylinder water cooled turbo 2.0 L or larger engine car. It was Chrysler, not some European or Japanese brand. You think Chrysler doesn't belong in the market segment it invented.

·
Registered
13,028 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
Let's look at raw numbers before declaring electrification is going to be Chrysler's salvation.
For 2020, EV sales grew by 11% but were still only 252k. Of that number, almost 80% were Tesla.
Aiming Chrysler at a small niche market that is dominated by a single player isn't going to be easy or cheap. it will require as much, if not more, cost and effort than reestablishing Chrysler in the midsize sedan market. While shrinking, the midsize cars sell more units in 3 months than EVs sell all year in the US.

The point is an EV lineup isn't going to save Chrysler. EV sales may be growing but no one else has stopped Tesla's ownership of the market. What makes anyone think Chrysler will?

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
Let's look at raw numbers before declaring electrification is going to be Chrysler's salvation.
For 2020, EV sales grew by 11% but were still only 252k. Of that number, almost 80% were Tesla.
Aiming Chrysler at a small niche market that is dominated by a single player isn't going to be easy or cheap. it will require as much, if not more, cost and effort than reestablishing Chrysler in the midsize sedan market. While shrinking, the midsize cars sell more units in 3 months than EVs sell all year in the US.

The point is an EV lineup isn't going to save Chrysler. EV sales may be growing but no one else has stopped Tesla's ownership of the market. What makes anyone think Chrysler will?
To reinforce @valiant67's point, Mercedes has decided not to bring the Tesla Model S-fighting EQC to the US, just as BMW decided not to bring the iX3 to the US.

Fully electric is selling in the EU, where the governments are scrambling to install charging stations (they still need to harmonize plugs and payments) to keep up with the mandated demand. The US is not in that place yet.

Maybe in a few years.

For now, hybrids are the way to go in the US. Power, efficiency and transition.

Mercedes-Benz decides not to sell the EQC in America | Autoblog

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I think you can call it a CHRYSLER Citroen . 90% of Americans don’t know anything about Citroen. I think being transparent about it being a rebadge of a European mainstay would be a good thing as CHRYSLER USA has no history of a small car.
No offense, but that is not a good idea.

To reinforce @valiant67's point, Mercedes has decided not to bring the Tesla Model S-fighting EQC to the US, just as BMW decided not to bring the iX3 to the US.

Fully electric is selling in the EU, where the governments are scrambling to install charging stations (they still need to harmonize plugs and payments) to keep up with the mandated demand. The US is not in that place yet.

Maybe in a few years.

For now, hybrids are the way to go in the US. Power, efficiency and transition.

Mercedes-Benz decides not to sell the EQC in America | Autoblog
Mercedes isn't selling the EQC here because it's too expensive for what it's offering. It'd be uncompetitive upon entry, same with the BMW iX3. Both of those vehicles are on compromised, adapted from ICE platforms. For the U.S., Mercedes is revealing the EQS on a dedicated platform at the end of the month with deliveries starting in late summer. This will be followed by the EQE sedan and EQE SUV by early 2022 along with an electric G-Wagen by summer of next year.

The difference here is that Mercedes is choosing to launch its high-end material here where the profit margin is thicker. I think we agree that the path to profitability for EV mainstream models is currently quite difficult and shouldn't be seen as the near-term path to success for the Chrysler brand.

Totally agree. It's going to be a slow transition for the mainstream brands.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Here is essentially the same vehicle without the weird Citroen nose
I've driven that car in ICE form. It's a decent ride. Handles well on the Autobahn at high speeds. Not quirky like the Citroën C3 that I drove later. I don't think it would take much to make it a Chrysler, though perhaps going with the Opel Grandland X look would be better, with some modest sheetmetal recontours to not look too much like a Buick are in order. Grandland X is on EMP2 and closely related to the P3008 II/5008, II/C5 Aircross/ DS 7 Crossbck

·
Registered
9 Posts
This car is shorter than a PT Cruiser, but doesn't have as much back seat or cargo space because it's more aerodynamic than the PT's wedge profile. Teslas have the market now, but it's a niche company for a niche market, people with lots of money. Electrics will become more common. The market is on the cusp of a big change, and the place they'll make their first real inroads is on smaller, less expensive cars. I see no problem with the Citroen look. The French make very comfortable cars, and that's what should get emphasized. I think the C4 should come over as a Dodge. Leave the higher end for Chrysler. Making Dodge just a "performance" brand was a mistake. That's too narrow a niche, especially with the switch to electrics. I hope the Berlingo comes here, in both short and long wheelbase versions. The SWB Berlingo would fill the PT Cruiser niche and the Berlingo XL could become the Dodge Caravan or Journey, for that matter. Forget about a RWD Journey replacement. That's not where the market wants to go.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
This car is shorter than a PT Cruiser, but doesn't have as much back seat or cargo space because it's more aerodynamic than the PT's wedge profile. Teslas have the market now, but it's a niche company for a niche market, people with lots of money. Electrics will become more common. The market is on the cusp of a big change, and the place they'll make their first real inroads is on smaller, less expensive cars. I see no problem with the Citroen look. The French make very comfortable cars, and that's what should get emphasized. I think the C4 should come over as a Dodge. Leave the higher end for Chrysler. Making Dodge just a "performance" brand was a mistake. That's too narrow a niche, especially with the switch to electrics. I hope the Berlingo comes here, in both short and long wheelbase versions. The SWB Berlingo would fill the PT Cruiser niche and the Berlingo XL could become the Dodge Caravan or Journey, for that matter. Forget about a RWD Journey replacement. That's not where the market wants to go.
Finally..some common sence

·
Registered
864 Posts
Berlingo is going to be the new Promaster City. Opel Combo already switched from Fiat Small-Wide Combo D to PSA EMP2 Combo E.

C4 with a 13 cu ft cargo area just isn't ready for the US. The packaging is wrong.

Chrysler and Dodge are on the cusp of a return of the small ICE vehicle, courtesy of the economies of scale of the PSA EMP1/CMP and EMP2.

I agree on the brand placement of Tesla, Dodge and Chrysler and the RWD Journey.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts